bee keeping on my allotments

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

kay

could anyone help with information about keeping bees on allotments? I'm worried about security as the surrounding fences aren't high. Has anyone had other problems?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Kay,
go to the website for Thornes, www.thorne.co.uk On their website there are links for most of the county beekeeping societies and you should go along to meetings to see if you would still like to keep bees after meeting a hive with the lid off. 60,000 bees can be very intimidating to the novice. All beekeeping societies are interested in new members. They will have all the information you will ever need and free help whenever you need it.
Regards Sally Wright.
nog
KG Regular

We have about 6 bee keepers on our site. with hives on about 20 of the plots.

We never get any trouble..the "ponds" prefer to burn down the huts. I think they may be frightenrd of the bees. If you knocked over the hive I dont think the bees would be very happy.

I think our bee keepers are more interested in the bees than the allotments. There is a hive just up the row from me and you dont notice the bees. If you stand on the end of his plot you can see them comming and going.

It looks like a lot of work and you now have to have MAF (the Ministry) round once a year to inspect.
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Nog,
bees are the only livestock which have their own "vets" aka the bee inspectors. These people have been around for many years and will inspect hives for free as bees are the only livestock with NHS priviledges.
These government workers have been instrumental in helping the nations bees stay healthy through the varroa epidemic. They are very knowledgeable about bees and many keep them.
Regards Sally Wright.
peter
KG Regular

Do some sites specifically not allow Bee's?
Check your site's rules on livestock as you could open up an insurance liability in these health & safety concious times, if someone got stung by yuor bee's or another plotholder is allergic to beestings.

My father used to keep bees in quantity at his school as part of the schools agricultural bent. I was never that keen on them, especially after dad once failed to notice them getting under his shirt through a hole and mother had to spend a good half hour scraping the stings out, he wasn't bothered much though!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Peter,
I expect some sites do not allow them, here in Cambridge they are allowed but it is strongly recommended that you are in the local beekeepers assoc.
However, unless you are actually on the plot where the bees live and are standing in front of the hive it would be very difficult to prove catagorically that the bee which stung you came from that particular hive. They are known to range for a mile or more if there is a good nectar source.
A beehive can be camouflaged quite well so that it will not attract too much attention. So if no-one knows they are there they will bothered too much. It is always wise to ask your allotment soc to ask everyone if they are allergic to them.
Regards Sally Wright.
lizzie
KG Regular

Hi All

We're not allowed to keep bees on out allotments but, if my memory serves me right (which would be a bloody miracle) once bees have moved in it is illegal to move them because they are a protected species. I might be wrong but it is worth checking out.
Lots of love

Lizzie
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi lizze,
Please go and check your Tennacy agreement with the(Liverpool) council it say's that you can keep Bee's and chickens, But no pigs or goats which is a shame :( I would have liked to try keeping a couple of pigs :wink:

Kevin :P
spinningfishwife
KG Regular

I`d like bees, but to the best of my knowledge there are at least two plotholders on the site that have the kind of allergy to bee stings that require the immediate use of an adrenaline injection pen. It might of course be argued that there are plenty of bees and wasps on an allotment site anyway, and that they`re perhaps foolish to be working there in the first place, but still....I don`t want to add to their problems.

(They`re both pretty old as well.....my opportunity will come one day. :wink: )
Val
lizzie
KG Regular

I was told that we were unable to keep bees and chickens. It's a shame cos a few of us wanted to keep a few chickens and a few hives but were refused. No good reason given accept that the council wouldn't allow it.
Lots of love

Lizzie
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

i also wanted to keep chickens and bees,but got told the same as the old tart liz.do we contact the council or is it up to our committe?would also luv pigs,but guess thats asking 4 too much,oooohhh just imagin all that luvly poo.by the way ,do you have bees or chickens,or anyone else on your plot.r.s.v.p
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Arnie
KG Regular

Hi Grock,
As I said to lizze yes you can keep both chicken's and Bee's but not pig's which is a pity :cry: With Bee's I belive that you need to speak to the council, ring Lpool Direct( you know the number do'nt you) and ask to speak Mr P thomas Allotments Manager. But it states in your Tenancy agreement that you need to be a member of bona fide beekeeping society the reason being that you have to attend and pay for a course with registered beekeeper and also your membership of the beekeeping society MIGHT give you public liability cover which is something the Council are asking for with good reason I belive.
So ring Him he does not Bite much :twisted:
I will be keeping Hens this year along with other plot holders who are doing the same, also we have a plot holder who has had her Bee's for a couple of years, So this year I will be bartereing my eggs for Honey all being well
Hope this is of some help :wink:

Kevin :P
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

thank 4 the info ,will give them a call and keep you informed of the progress. 8)
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic