Gardeners delights little secret

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

KMARKSnr
KG Regular

Hi all,
I grew gardeners delight again this year to be left with hundreds of little sweet tom`s.(still with plenty to mature,and pick).
I had forgotten that at the distant corner of my plot i had planted,and allowed,two of these plants to grow wild.I took some of the first tom`s from these plants yesterday,and eating straight from the bush.- The taste was wonderful,an explosion of sweetness,and far,far,superior to the same ones,that are in the greenhouse,nipped out to six trusses,and then left to grow out as they will.
I will definatly allow some gardeners delight plants run wild again next season. :D

Regards,
Mark.
I`m not "young enough"to know everything!
Chez
KG Regular

Hmm...it's a funny old thing that. Every year we grow tomatoes in the greenhouse and outside too. In all cases, the tomatoes outside are more intensely flavoured than those in the greenhouse. Still good taste from inside and if we didn't grow some outside too, we would not have noticed this. It is particularly obvious amongst the cherry toms. We too, are growing Gardener's Delight. Also Sweet Million and Sweet Olive.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
Brenjon
KG Regular

When I grow tomatoes outside I find that the skins are much more tough than those grown in the greenhouse. Do other people find the same and why is this.
Regards Brenjon
Carole B.
KG Regular

Presumeably it's the harder growing conditions,Brenjon,but I think that this year has been particularly noticeable with the heat.I agree that the flavour is mostly better on the outdoor ones but we're so keen to get the early toms in the greenhouse!
Perhaps we come at this from the wrong end and would do better to extend the season into the autumn.
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Do you guys water more in the greenhouse than outside it? It may be that more watering than necessary dilutes the flavour. Greenhouse plants simply have to be watered because of the intense heat generated inside, whereas outdoor plants can tolerate fairly hot conditions on not too frequent watering.

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Garlic_Guy
KG Regular

That's an interesting poiny Mike.

The other thing is feeding, especially if the toms are in growbags. One bottle of liquid feed I had recomended feeding up to every other day once the second truss had formed for growbag toms (compared to a max of once a week for outdoor ones).

I'd guess you only have to get this slightly wrong to be over or under feeding.

Needless to say my greenhouse toms have grown, but are less prolific than the same strains that are outside. I'm sure my technique is as responsible for this as anything.
Colin
Somewhere on a weedy allotment near Bristol
http://www.pbase.com/cmalsingh/garden
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic