Is it too late?

Need to know the best time to plant?

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vicki
KG Regular

I haven't planned very well this year (my first veggie year!). I've got loads of stuff growing for the summer, but now that I've harvested my onions, and the brocolli looks like its nearly finished, I'm going to have big gaps.

I've put my leeks where my new potatoes were, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest. I'm assuming I probably can't put more leeks where the onions have been as they'd be the same family -would that be right or is it a possibility as I've still got some leeks that need planting on?

And what could I sow now that I could use for the winter? or is it too late? I suppose I could leave a patch to plant garlic in the autumn? Any other ideas?

Must plan better next year!!!!

What about salad stuff? Lettuces, radish. You could even still try French beans but they might not make it before the first frost.
I always try to get the digging done immediately after harvesting, but then, we don't have the climate to have two harvests from one patch!!!!!
sprout
KG Regular

Hi vicki, July is a good month for sowing and planting out - the last of the crops for this year, and the first for overwintering.
I find this very helpful: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/
If you enter your postcode, the list adjusts for your temps etc.
Happy gardening! :D
Allan
KG Regular

Garden Action looks like a sequel to the erstwhile Expert Gardener project. Both were backed by Crocus, however the 'experts' never did a proper job of backup and it disintegrated with the main chatters re-forming into Real Gardeners.
The vegetable gardening calendar needs some filling up with alternative vegetables and techniques.
Allan
Vivien
KG Regular

HI Vicki,
It goes against the grain, but if you could take a look at Marshalls and order some of their vegetable plants. I've got a really busy period from June to October with exams on top of my usual job, and decided that I didn't have the time to study and get stuff ready for late planting, so I have ordered their plants. They have a 3-for-2 offer on, and the first delivery should be early August of brassicas. It seems a bit like wimping out, but it does mean I don't have the hassle of sowing, pricking out, etc., just the usual summer watering duties.
Good luck.
sprout
KG Regular

These are the growers who I believe supply Marshalls among others - you can buy from them direct 8)
www.organicplants.co.uk

If you live nearby and can visit the nursery shop, you can buy vegge plug plants for 5p each :roll:
nomis5
KG Regular

Re the GardenAction site, it's definitely not Crocus backed, it's fully independent. Take a look at the number of non-Crocus ads on the site - Two Wests, Greenfingers, etc.
aob9
KG Regular

I have also just lifted my onions grown from sets ( Good Crop). I have set my leeks into the same ground almost immediatley. I know they are from the same family but the onions were occupying the soil for about 12 weeks which to me is a very short period of time in a crop rotation programme. When I finish lifting the leeks (in early 2007)I will use the ground for a catch crop of salad leaves before sowing a green manure.
David
KG Regular

Can you tell me the Marshall URL I cant find it?!

Thanks

D
Piglet
KG Regular

Kindest Regards, Piglet

http://pigletsplots.blogspot.com/
Wellie
KG Regular

That's bold !
And I'd love to know how it worked out.

You're in the right place there in Cork if you ask me. You've got the most fantastic chef 'on your very doorstep'. DENNIS COTTER at CAFE PARADISO.
I'm trying to get this British Lot to get interested in him (and God, am I trying.....!) and I promise you - if it kills me I will !! I've got both of his books, and I'm awaiting his new 2007 one whenever he's ready, hey?

Wellie
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Mike Vogel
KG Regular

Hi Vicki.

Sorry, it is almost a month since you posted. Round about now I am sowing the first rows of winter lettuces, "WinterDensity", "Rouge d Hiver" [sorry, for some reason this font will not allow me to print apostrophes] and Lambs Lettuce and Winter Purslane. The radish "Black Spanish Round" is a delicious variety as well. You can sow several times until the end of September, or even into Oct.

You could also get a plot ready for planting garlic cloves in October and sowing broad beans. I do as you do: leeks where the early spuds have been, but I do not grow so many leeks and therefore there is lots of room for the garlic rows and broad beans as well. Beans and peas sown next year I put where I have the maincrop spuds at present.

And I have forgotten something vital - GREEN MANURE. If you have empty spaces, try sowing mustard where your broccoli has just finished, Phacelia just about anywhere, Hungarian Rye grass where you intend to put plants next year [but not where you mean to sow seed, because it inhibits germination], and winter tares to fix nitrogen for next years brassicas [these also inhibit germination, so avoid the place you are going to sow carrots or lettuces]. You dig in the green manure about a week to a fortnight before putting in the crop you intend to grow.

Good luck

mike
Please support Wallace Cancer Care
http://www.wallacecancercare.org.uk
and see
http://www.justgiving.com/mikevogel

Never throw anything away.
Tigger
KG Regular

Wellie - If he's as good as Richard Corrigan, I'll order the books now. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic