Seriously irked by anon " guests"

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Sr Clare Julian

( on the grounds of "best practices")
Dear Ones all, especially our beloved moderators.

I am getting serious righteous indignation here at the abuse being made in an increasing number of threads of the great privilege the forum affords to anonymous "guests".
The sneers and gibes and attacks are getting far too frequent.

Please, can anything be done? I know I am not registered as I am passing through, but I now always use my name and folk know how they can contact me.

Some of the anonymous mails I have just read are really bad and are spoiling the forum.

I had hoped that we had left this problem behind; I for one will not stay near a forum where this is allowed. It is why I left the old forum.

Can the " guest" anonymity be stopped, please, so that at least the admin can mail these discourteous and troubled individuals? That attack on the student is the last straw.
Arnie
KG Regular

Good Morning to everyone,
I am in an agreement with Sr Clare Julian on this matter,By all means let the guest's read the postings but should they wish to respond to any postings make them register.

Kevin.
Chris
KG Regular

Hi

I strongly believe that this should be a totally open forum. If not we will lose the range of views and opinions that is one of it's strenghths. Thinking back to my first posting some years ago I doubt if I would have got involved if I had seen the forum as a restricted club where members felt the need to protect themselves from opinions they didn't like. It's the important principle of defending the right of free speech even if you disagree with the views expressed. I also believe that we should all be prepared to identify ourselves whether registered or not.

Chris
Chris
Mr Potato Head

Hi All,

I've run a number of fora over the years, and have found that, unfortunately, there's nearly always antagonism of one type or another.

The reason that I have persisted with the 'guest' login, is that in my experience, the benefits outweigh the defecits. Allowing guests to post means that you get more people involved, such as GIB's excellent guest posting in the wormery discussion, who might otherwise not have bothered.

As you all know, I do strive to keep a close eye on proceedings, and will delete truly offensive / aggressive posts. My general rule is that it is better to shame the offensive, pacify the angry and educate the ignorant, rather than hide it, beat it or ridicule it.

On the other hand, no-one is totally anonymous on the internet, and I do have ways and means.... :twisted:
Mr Potato Head

I'm locking this discussion, please direct further replies to the one in 'General Chatter'
Locked Previous topicNext topic