stdent in need please help

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

student11

:!:
Please, please, please help me. I’ve only got a few days until the hand in for my Final Major research project and I really need to get at least 100 answers for this questionnaire!

[I HAVE REMOVED THIS LINK - ADMIN]

Thank you so much!
Sr Clare Julian

I tried to send it, but it simply opened a blank mail on my default mail server.... Please advise how to send it? Thank you.
Chantal
KG Regular

I copied the web page to My Documents and then picked it up as an attachment. It seems to work.

Chantal
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...

I have no sympathy at all. Just do your required work on time and you won't need to send out begging letters to strangers. Life's tough, isn't it? Use this as a learning curve.
Chantal
KG Regular

Did you, the anonymous Guest, never go to school/college/university and occasionally let things get away from you? Show a bit of human kindness for pity's sake; one day you may need some back!
Last edited by Chantal on Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
Student11

for those who have replied, thankyou. For anon - have you ever tried it? Its hard work let me tell you. :roll:

Yes, I've worked (and taught) in colleges harder and longer than you could ever know. Here's a hard fact, gained from a lifetime's experience: those students who leave things until the last minute consistently turn out to be the type of people who expect others to rally round and dig them out of a hole when they "let things get away with them". Partly the current set-up of the education system is to blame, as (due to financial constraints) a rigorous weeding-out system no longer exists (blindingly evidenced by the number of entry students I see yearly who got straight As in their GCSEs but can't write a coherent sentence). Also it's a problem born of the current trend to give young people the idea that they can expect to get just about anything and everything they wish for (while simultaneously giving them the idea that they don't need to put in much personal effort to get it). The students who are really worth helping are those who are intent on making their own way through life. Sadly, however, they tend to be the ones who receive the least help, because their tutors' workload is weighed down by helping students who should not have been offered a college place to begin with. We are doing our young people no favours by failing to teach them the basic lessons of life, one of which is that you have to hold your own end up if you want to get on. Employers tend not to tolerate and reward an inability to perform, certainly not to the extent that schools and colleges currently do. By the way, Sister, this is not an "attack" (I resent very strongly your implication that it is); it's a realistic opinion, born of many years' hard experience.
Sr Clare Julian

If anon will give his or her name, I am sure people might take the words more seriously. Attack is as attack is felt. That was an attack. If you prefer a phrase like " negative and hostile opinion" fine by me. The second reply is more uncharitable than the first. Full of generalisations. There are many, many reasons for a student to fall behind; illness, family trouble. A good teacher takes the time to ask why before lambasting anyone. And to make full allowances. I am thankful that not every teacher thinks like this. Every child and young person deserves every chance. Many have started "poorly" yet given caring and time have caught up and done brilliantly. We are individuals not machines. And I also am an academic teacher. Student; do you have enough replies? I can rouse other groups if not? Mail me offlist if you need to.
See www.iol.ie/~anchorhold/ Bless you meanwhile. And thanks be to the forum members for helping.
The Grock in the Frock
KG Regular

oh my god,i have just read the attack on the poor person who was looking for help and got nothing but abuse from the person unwilling to put their name.i have not long joyened the site and have had nothing but help from the kind people replying to me.clair i agree with you.and just a last word to our so called guest,(if lifes too tough,why take so much time with the long reply).may you walk peacefully through life.
Love you lots like Jelly Tots
Molly
KG Regular

That's an interesting viewpoint. I personally believe that an insult is an insult if it's meant that way, rather than if it's merely perceived that way by someone who chooses to get uppity about it. A friend of mine in the USA lost his job a while ago because he complained about "niggardly" allocation of funds (his bosses felt that the word "niggardly" might be misunderstood as a racist comment). A moment's thought, then, surely exposes how dangerous it is to assume that "attack is as attack is felt" (it's an elegant phrase but an evident falsehood). As for the matter of people giving their names, I wonder why Sister Clare feels that a name will add anything at all to the validity of a comment. My real name isn't Molly (for security reasons, I would never give out my real name on an Internet site and I strongly urge others not to do so). People use all kinds of "pen names" (should that be "keyboard names"?) on this site - for example, I doubt whether anyone was actually christened Johnboy or Happymouse or Julie TwoSheds! :lol: Does choosing names other than those on our birth certificates invalidate every comment we might choose to make?
Some days you're the dog, some days you're the fence post

Anyone can use any name and set up any details when registering so how can we possibly know that this Julian Clary or whatever is really who she (or he) claims to be? Besides, once you start chucking self-righteousness at people you'd better be sure your own house isn't made of glass. My aunt is a nun and I have to say that no nun I've ever met would dream of acting like an argumentative and overbearing bully. What with attending prayers, personal devotions and their daily practical duties they don't have the time let alone the facilities to spend hours on the Internet picking fights with all and sundry. If my aunt spoke to anyone the way this nun does, her Mother Superior would be down on her like a ton of bricks! Since several other forum users have recognised her behaviour from another forum, it all starts to smell very fishy.
Mr Potato Head

I'm sorry, it's an attack, not an opinion, because you have no basis on which to base your opinion for our student. For all you know, our student has been too busy holding down a full time job (to pay for the crippling student fees that they have, whereas older people that got grants and unemployment benefit didn't have to!)

Or perhaps they are part-time, or doing two subjects, or just decided not to ask us until the last minute.

Oh, and the last time I heard, before a deadline is still on time.

I don't care whether you are a 'guest' or not, it makes little difference to me. You are still quite rude. :x
spinningfishwife
KG Regular

Well, completing and sending the survey took approximately two minutes, and that`s my good deed for the day done. And it`s about cooking, so this is not such a bad forum to be posting for help in.

Just to add my mite to the arguement...who else is this student supposed to ask to fill in this form BUT strangers? If he/she did ask 100 family/friends/fellow students to fill in this questionnaire, he`d end up with a very skewed sample. OK, he`s going to get a skewed sample if only 100 of us on this particular forum filled it in, but hopefully he`s posted it on other forums too.

I think asking for this sort of assistance on the internet shows intelligence and economy of effort. The learning experience is in the number crunching and analysis if data, not just trudging round with the forms. My Hubby lectures in the use of IT in public relations, and thought this student showed initiative, though he did suggest that leaving it so close to hand-in time was not a very good idea.

And I`ve done three degrees, two at post grad level, all before the internet was common. Yeah Gawds I`d have LOVED a resource like the internet when studying...and Word! I could have done my assignments in 1/10th the time!

Let us know how you get on, Student11.
Val
student11

Well thankyou all so much for your replies! This student is a she by the way.

I didn't think that i would become the subject of so much critisism when i posted my plea! Whilst I am offended at the attack on me - which cirtainly felt like an attack, i do not hold it against "guest". In deed i do actually agree with some of their points.

I have always been a top of the class student and not because of talent, in fact i have not much talent in anything at all. I simply acheive what i achieve through hard work and determination, so as you can imagine it annoys me when i find other people doing their work at last minute with too much help and getting marks as good as me. I do agree to some extent that people who mess around at uni to extremes should not be rewarded.

Re the comment on what employers want: I have worked in a design job before uni and i know exactly what employers are looking for and i am it. I'm not hugely talented but i am hard working, dedicated, thourough and articulate and am confident that i will be an asset to whoever i work for when i finish uni.

I understand that by handing in work so late i have not come across as this type, but as one kind person suggested my circumstances made this unavoidable.

I found going back to uni after a year out working quite difficult and it took me a lot of work to get back into the swing of it and get used to the stress again! So i got my priorities a little mixed up at the beginning of term and ended up leaving this project late. I did however make my best efforts to do what i could. I even stayed at uni a week extra before going home for christmas so i could do the work then, but i ended up getting ill and spending the whole week alone in bed, too ill to travel home.

So here I am, after christmas working VERY hard to get the project done the right way and in on time, which it looks like i will manage now, thanks to everyone who helped.

Not that I have to justify myself - I'm happy enough that I've not done anything to be ashamed of and don't really care what a "guest" thinks they know about me because anyone who really knows me knows i don't deserve to be to be grilled for my temporary lack of judgement with this project. I just think that the guest should realise that giving such definate oppinions should be considered very carefully because you can't always know the circumstances fully and may offend someone - which you should never really aim to do unless you know they really deserve it - and mabe you shouldn't even do it then. Its attitudes like that that start wars.

Anyway look at me getting all "deep" I'd better get back to work!

Thanks agin to those who helped! :wink:
Gill

I tried but not sure it got sent from my outbox some problem with my anti virus software etc. Hope you got my rely I really enjoy cooking and sometimes help at the centre my husband runs so have experience in a catering kitchen too, Good luck with your course take care G
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic