Black fly

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

There was an over abundant supply of black fly on a rogue tree that was due to be chopped. I’ve chopped it and put it in a black bag and tied it so they can’t escape and binned it. I’m sure there are others in the garden so not too worried about it but I did see small bumble bees going in and eating the sweet nectar they produce, off the leaves. Should I have been more tolerant? The leaves were all deformed and stunted and I was worried about disease spread.
Westi
KG Regular

Too late to worry about it now Myrkk! :)

You could always supplement the loss to the bees with some sugar water. I always put some out when I see the first ones as don't know what they can find to support them except the really early plum & they do swarm it's flowers. These tend to be little tiny bees, but then the bigger ones follow & all enjoy it so tend to leave it out for them until there are enough flowers open to offer them proper nectar. I don't have any mixing recipe, but do put lot's of stones in the cat metal bowel for them so lot's of perching areas to take advantage!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There’s a huge amount of black fly about this year, Myrkk, so I wouldn’t worry too much….anyway, i’m sure their mates will be with you soon.🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

It is indeed Westi. I might buy some bee fondant and put that out so help their sweet little tastebuds.

I’d never seen such a lot OH, the leaves and stems were coated black and the leaves at the tip were all curled up. Bees were flying in as I held the cut branches in my hands and I had to wait on them going in, having their tea and then leaving. That’s when I started to feel guilty. There were clipping shears, ants and some other insects there too, so it’s obviously a quick stop cafe for them all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic