Broadbeans cooking

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

I have always cooked broadbeans with their skin on, but after watching Jamie Oliver removeing the outer skin I gave it ago.

Result was a better flavour minus the rough texture.

Going to give it a try cooked in the butter & olive oil that is left over from frying the spuds.
Geoff
KG Regular

Do you grow grey or green beans? Little problem with green skins.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Green ones Geoff, not seen grey ones.
Westi
KG Regular

I always pop them out of the first skin & it is so easy as well as in just a few minutes boil fresh beans will get a little split & you can just pop them out, although if a bit bigger you do have to use your nail or a knife point sometimes. They are completely different taste & freeze well as I suppose the short boil counts as blanching. They look so much appetising as well being bright green & would probably coax some folk with bad memories of them from school dinners give them a go.

On the subject of Jamie, I make a recipe out of his Jamie at Home book for Spicy Broad bean fritters with lemon & mint yoghurt which is great cold to take on picnics as well as a warm party platter. You don't have to follow the spices he suggests either, you can spice them up to your favourite herbs & spices.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Can't remember broad beans at school westi, did a search for your "Spicy Broad bean fritters" showed up it seems common to peel skin off.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think the skins are the best bits….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

There's a fashion these days for Chefs At Home books.

Restaurant food can be delicious but should generally only be for a treat. 'At Home' food is a bit different. Restaurants add plenty of butter, cream, salt, sugar. They remove fibre. The food is intended to delight, and it often does. But is that sustainable at home? I once cooked for a nutritionist's big party (never again!) and she liked my food but was horrified by some of the cheffy techniques, such as 'passing' soup, ie removing all the fibre.

If I'm doing a special party I might well do it that way. If we just have a couple coming round for dinner I might give them meat and two veg plus dough boys. No need to get prissy about things. Horses for courses and all that. Better perhaps if one understands what one is getting. :D

Yes, double-podding is quite the norm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic