Germination rates

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Ian Foster
KG Regular

Hi,

I realise that it the weather has been cold & wet.

I have sown 2 lots of Carrots & Parsnips direct into the ground and nothing has currently germinated. Do I assume those sowings will never germinate ? Is it too late to try again ?

Thanks

Ian
Geoff
KG Regular

Plenty of time to try again. With carrots in particular no-show can in fact be slugs browsing them off as soon as they come through. If the ground is a bit wet fill the drills with a 50:50 mixture of sand and leafmould instead of the soil.
Westi
KG Regular

Ditto here Ian, I'm on my 3rd sow. I definitely know the first ones at least came up so seeds are viable but they were obviously taken by the slimy things soon after. I re-dug the area & found a couple of small slugs & a couple of snails & removed them, but obviously missed their friends as same result. For this last sow I have put a sprinkle of Strulch between each row that I took off the strawberries as it really does seem to help me get some non-nibbled strawberries. Will see!
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

a lot of mine came up, but because it has not stopped raining, they have dwindled to one solitary companion spring onion. The slugs have taken the rest.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic