solar irrigation system

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vivienz
KG Regular

Has anyone tried these?
I'm having a look as although I can run a hose on a time out to my greenhouses, our water flow and pressure are so low, the water doesn't make it through the tubes to all of the outlets, only 50% at best. I can't get a mains power supply out the greenhouses due to distance.
I've looked at a few, but it strikes me that a timer is pretty much essential as having the system come on when it's hot and sunny isn't going to give the most effective watering time.
Any experience or recommendations would be great. Perhaps something for the magazine to have a look at for a recommendations article?
vivienz
KG Regular

I should have added that this type of thing is probably more relevant than ever as we move into a peat-free world as peat-free composts generally don't have the same water retention qualities of previous times and need to be kept constantly moist as they're much harder to get wet again.
Myrkk
KG Regular

I’ve noticed that Vivienz. I don’t remember having to work so hard to keep my seeds in moist but not wet compost. they seem to dry out ever so quick.
Westi
KG Regular

I looked at one that will run off the water butts but totally confused with the solar set up, so I just got a soaker hose in the end & it works fine, but the water butts have to be high up on pavers or on a stand. It's flow is just regulated by the tap on the water butt & it is curved around the plants in the bed so they all get some, but I have seen one on our site that has theirs looped above the plants so it drips down which would be a good idea for seedlings. They are unyielding when new but soften when inside in the warmth & I just wrap tape around the hose for areas not in use & needing watering.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

I use Bosch 18v water pump on plot.

If water flow power is low keep water butt constantly filled using stopcock attached to hose pipe.
vivienz
KG Regular

@Colin2016 - how long does a full battery charge last? Roughly how many hours of pumping do you get from it?
Colin2016
KG Regular

15 to 30 mins constant.
I use this as a hose and would easily drain a 200 litre butt in 30 mins.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic