Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Either rain or strong winds; mostly both for the rest of the week. I am missing the car as I could go down there & just hide in the tunnel regardless of the weather but don't fancy getting soaked & cold just getting there & back & the dog certainly moans! The car is a write off so have suffered the government website & reported it,...after several attempts! Just got to send the insurance company the ownership documents & spare keys tomorrow & that will be that until they decide to pay out. Mr is not going to surrender his licence now as it's his only ID for voting etc., but he's not driving again.

Looks like I will have enough time to finish the home chores, or maybe not bother & just look out the window whinge! ;)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I've reluctantly cancelled my magazine subscription today. Not due to the increased cost but because I can't stand the monthly frustration of being reminded what it's time to be doing when I'm now too ohysically disabled to do any of it!
I shall still be encouraging Mr Primrose to keep one vegetable border operational but I'm really missing the annual excitement of all this Spring sowing.

Hope to keep popping in on the forum though to see what you,re all up to.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Yes, please keep popping onto the forum, Primrose, as it just wouldn’t be the same, if you weren’t about! And we need someone to keep me under control…..🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

That,s what think my other half keeps fearing OH.!!
I can no longer do a lot of things myself but old habits die hard, I can't help noticing that they still need doing!
Westi
KG Regular

It's still the best mag so I buy it & I do use their sow/plant guide & look at deals in the advertisements & prizes. It could do with a bit of a refresh, maybe a recipe section relevant to the available crops in season, perhaps submitted by readers anytime but catalogue for when suitable, not stolen from TV chefs but from traditional ethnic background or old family recipes. I also worry that the pristine plots/gardens shown do not always encourage; but overwhelm new plot holders so these could be like a little a diary format each month for 'retired, experienced, part time, working, disabled, unemployed/restricted income, new starters, alternatives etc.

Just my thoughts! Anyone else got ideas?
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

.Also think I would be great if they could focus a little more on growing activities for children who are te next generation of vegetable growers. I know some schools are lucky enough to have small vegetable plots but what about the many children who grow up in flats with no access to growing facilities? A monthly series on mini "kitchen shelf" growing would still teach some of the fundamentals, provide interest and be educational.
Perhaps some of the free seed offers could be aimed at this sector with an occasional photo competitions to encourage.children to experiment.

I realise planning the magazine isn,t easy. I produce a weekly village email newsletter and am always having to plan two or three weeks ahead while working on the current week and with a small staff I've
Magazine planning can,t be easy. But widening readership might expand numbers sold especially if a special inscription rate was introduced or schools and their gardening group activities.

And yes, som more "cooking what you grow" recipes would b welcome, especially inglut periods, with advice on freezing and other preservation techniques. How abiut requests saying for example "in august we will be featuring "preserving tomwto gluts" unusual hints or recipes rom our readers plese? Encourqge the readership to participate more!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

All good ideas……

Nice dry morning, but now raining heavily again…..in the glasshouse again for me!

Westi
KG Regular

Yellow wind warning tomorrow with gust to over 60mph & not to happy with the 80% chance of rain either. Friday looks better but still a bit windy & some showers, so thinking I will go to town then & use the Xmas money on my M&S card for some Easter treats. Will cheat & get a taxi home as only a couple of miles & I don't want soggy hot cross buns.

There is obvious method in my madness - Sat & Sun are the only 2 days for ages with some sun & no rain. Trying to avoid 2 days in a row with my back mucking around but it looks like I will get plenty of time to rest it & it means can get some of the potted plants out of the tunnel so won't have to worry about their drippers emptying. They are mainly brassica's so tough enough to cope & will have fine mesh for some protection.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

I have lots of plans, and also 3 extra days off next week. I've seent he forecast....rain every day :(
Primrose
KG Regular

Westi
A bit belated but on the issue of your OH needing his driving licence for ohoto ID for voting, he can always sign up for postal voting. No iD needed for that I think but you have to Bon electoral roll.
Myrkk
KG Regular

What a shame Primrose. It’s hard when the mind is willing but the body is not. I hope you do keep popping in on the forum, love your input.

A recipe section sounds fab, as does a section on gardening for the less able bodied. Everything has to evolve or it will become stagnant, magazines are hard work but I’m sure having the forum with people who are invested in the mag is a help. I didn’t realise they looked so carefully at the forums and was amused to find someone called “Myrkk” aka me, in the recent magazine as was Westi and someone else I think, in tales from the forum lol
Westi
KG Regular

Well they didn't exaggerate with the gales & rain today! I don't think the gales were registered spectacular from the Needles records, but certainly more regular & consistent than some previous big blows. Some issues with the consistent rainfall with trees down & flooding in the area but the usual places & no damage. The dog nearly got hit by a branch though on our walk from a pavement tree, not even in the woods. That was obvs the end of the walk for her as she is a right wimp but I was backing her decision making & glad to get home.

So far, so good for the weekend weather holding to get some things done....well after I collect my netting & mesh from the trees & hammer in the stakes etc.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Oof sounds wild Westi. We had it yesterday and I got soaked to the skin, took the whole night to warm up. I think I saw they’ve had snow in Cornwall! What a topsy turvey time. Barely seen any here and the locals were assuring me it gets very bad here.
Westi
KG Regular

When the wind & rain disappears the sun actually has a lot of warmth, & the weekend weather is still saying I will get to experience it for the next 2 days. I just know I will over do it tomorrow & Sunday, but just got to take the opportunity when it comes! Had no e-mail from the committee so looks like plot pretty intact so already a positive!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m so pleased!

Clearing my open fronted shed out this morning, and there was a load of Oak leaves blown into one corner. When I went to clear them up, there was a really large Hedgehog under them….really hoping it’s a female and then there might be a chance of some young ones.🙂

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic