Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Verbena bonariensis free seeds this month. Has anybody ever grown them from seed, how quickly do they develop? I usually raise my plants from cuttings of overwintered stock plants, if fact I was going to take the cuttings this week, but I'm wondering if I should use the seeds instead.
Got all my potatoes planted this week in a bed I sheeted over in January, sheet back on.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I was wondering abiut the verbena seeds too. Now qi can,t garde I was wondering if qi could just get my husband (who,s not a very proficient gardener) to just sprinkle the seeds in a couple of borders and see what develops.

Incidentally our regular visiting garden Robin was spotted feeding its baby on the fence this morning so perhaps it,s time to start a Spring thread at last?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Geoff, I grow them from seeds most years, (give a lot to the fete and other charity plant stalls), as they are cheap and easy to do!
They germinate really easily and grow away quickly….maybe 8 to 10 weeks, from sowing to flowering!
They do need potting up quite quickly, if you want large plants, as they soon fill the pot with roots…..I normally pot them on into 2 litre pots, and at this stage they are in flower and about 5 foot tall!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m always worried about starting the Spring Bits and Bobs too early, because if the weather turns really bad, I get the blame…..🙂

Primrose
KG Regular

Well OH , our magnolia and camelia blossoms are all starting to fall now so I don't think we'll blame you if you start a new thread.
Geoff
KG Regular

I know there is a new thread but thought I would finish the Verbena discussion. Thanks OH it sounds like they grow quickly. I've hedged my beds by sowing a few and taking some cuttings. I thought they might live and self seed with you and Primrose, they don't here but the feathery one, Verbena hastata, does but I and the butterflies don't like that as much.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, I meant to say, at one of the big gardens I work at, the Verbena self sows itself every year….so yes, it should be fine to sow it straight into the borders!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic