Incy wincy

Love to have animals around? Perhaps you're being plagued by them? All your tips here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

If there’s a funny high pitched sound on the wind tomorrow please don’t worry, it will just be me trying to reclaim a shed from the ivy that has breached the roofs defences.

Not sure I’d call them livestock but the spiders in there are HUGE. I’ve left it until now as I’m hoping they will all be hiding from the cold. Some of the webs are ginormous! I love spiders but if just one of them lands on my head, or, shudder, goes down my neck there will be some screaming. :shock:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There’s an awful lot of people that don’t like spiders….and that includes my eldest Son, who is scared of very little.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

I think it’s how quickly they move OH. I really like spiders, used to keep tarantulas, but they can still make me squeal.
Westi
KG Regular

Have the same problem clearing out the shed twice a year. My huge spiders in there don't run away but they tuck back into their little crevice then come out to inspect my handiwork & just stare at me like daring me to clear their area. I just leave them as no big webs & if I ever have to get something from that area I use a broom handle to knock it down.

Now the smaller ones can really zip around at a pace which I don't like so bought one of those long handled Handy Hand things you squeeze & the grip is at the other end designed to help older folk pick up dropped things on the floor. I just grab the blue mushroom boxes I use for putting things in & take; (technically throw) them out the door with spiders insitu. They tend to scuttle off so I can repack them but the spiders are back in the shed the next day.

None of these will even consider biting you but it is engrained in me to be afraid as the spiders in OZ don't just play look & see but are big on biting & identification is even taught in school. We even had red backs in our outside loo & bathroom, but so long as they weren't startled they would just stay still, but it was always wise to actually check where they were before sitting down & baths were a quick dip & a run back into the house wrapped in a towel without ever, ever leaving your clothes on the floor.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Hmmm, think I’d be more scared of them had I lived in a place where they can seriously injure / kill you. Totally get the grab handle to get stuff out.

Funnily enough there was a spider grabber here when we moved in and my hubbie chucked it as he knew we aren’t scared of them. I’m sort of wishing I still had it currently.
Westi
KG Regular

I bought mine from one of those older persons shops with mobility scooters, riser chairs & electric wheelchairs & the like. Was not expensive. It was quite interesting looking at all the gadgets to help the elderly, but of course you can just get them on line now & probably a lot cheaper!
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Indeed but it’s far easier browsing them all in one place than playing search engine bingo until you get all the correct letters in the correct order to find what exactly you are looking for.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic