Products I've liked

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

snooky
KG Regular

Evening Stravaig,
I buy the Smoked Haddock from Costco and it is rather nice.I am bored with shallow frying and mash and peas so could you post your Creamy Smoked Haddock recipe filling for Baked spuds,Ta.I also,amongst other stuff,buy 600gram tubs of MARMITE from Costco for £5-89.Best buy in in my shopping!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hi Snooky,

I'd be delighted to assist. :D I don't actually do recipes but I can tell you what I do with stuff. As a Scot, I eat a load of smoked haddock.

I do all kinds of things with it ( in a culinary way).

But it's Friday night - the start of the weekend and it's goodbye from me! Just want to down tools right now and get fed from the chippy. Our easy to walk to chippy is quite crap so husband drives to one a wee bit further away. That's good. But if you don't have a car I guess you don't have a choice. Sad really.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hi Snooky,
I expect you know how to make a roux. (If not, here's an explanation https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/how-make-roux )

I just make a basic roux, then I add a daud (maybe half a teaspoon) of English mustard and then I cook the smoked haddock in that sauce*. I use it for lots of things - baked tattie filling, crepe filling. I love it! You can serve a salad on the side if you want or maybe a couple of sprigs of watercress.

Thanks for asking! :D

* I skin the smoked haddock and cut it into smallish pieces, pop it into the roux/sauce and simmer it gently until the fish is cooked.
Stravaig
KG Regular

I have a so-called whipping syphon which is powered by nitrous oxide, ie N2O. Also known as laughing gas. Maybe I'm just too old to even think about inhaling that far less to do it. It never occurred to me!

I ordered some of the N2O 'bulbs' online and husband traipsed half way across London to collect them. When he got there, they (Nisbets) told him they had cancelled the order because they don't sell it to retail customers. Meh. That's bad enough but they could have had the courtesy to say they'd cancelled the order and saved him the time and money of the trip across London. :evil:

Anyway, this gas seems to be dangerous and malicious so I can kinda understand some places reluctance to sell it - and if they do sell it to someone who uses it for illegal purposes then they, the seller, are liable to face a criminal charge too. But that doesn't excuse cancelling someone's order and not bothering to tell them.

Our next step was to tell our local fishmonger, ie not a retail customer. They were more than happy to oblige and take delivery of the stuff for us to collect from them.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Asda's potato daupinoise is really good!

I've often made daupinoise because it's not always easy to find in other countries so if that's what you want then you have to DIY. I was just feeling lazy (or drunk?) and I spotted that Asda sold it. Oh well, try just about anything once. Actually if was really very good and we've had it a couple of times since.

It needs to go in the oven as it tends to split in the microwave, but even so it's a lot less faff than making your own. I like it!
Stravaig
KG Regular

Want to buy humus rather than make it?

We've tried all the major supermarket's versions and reached the conclusion that Tesco is best, both for taste and texture.
Westi
KG Regular

I generally make my own using tinned chickpeas as like it pretty garlicky & not too runny; actually mostly prefer to see some wee chopped up bits in it. I find the supermarket ones over processed & basically sloppy. Don't have a Tesco close by though to compare.
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

PS: Welcome back, been a bit quite without your input! x
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic