Late Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:28 pm Looks like we are going to get some much needed rain tomorrow….🙂

Just in case we had forgotten what rain looks like.... ;)

I did some turf repairs yesterday and after dusting a little riddled soil over the patched turf, I joked...that we'll need a bit of rain now to wash it in.... so you can blame me ;)

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Well I'll be walking to the plot again for awhile as the car killed itself. It was very impressive & an unusual encounter. Mr was coming to pick me up & turned into the road off the roundabout & the car lost its steering & it ended up nicely perched on the barrier on the central reservation. Mr wasn't injured but was stuck in it for a bit as they couldn't get him down as we left the wheelchair at home. Ambulance to the rescue & got him down & took him home.

Police were supposed to contact us today but didn't; but not surprised looking at the local news where they were dealing with stabbings & looking for body parts & other fun things that go on in Bournemouth. I'll just alert the insurance tomorrow anyway whether police contact us or not & they can deal with it. I hope it is a right off as it has been a very costly car with computer glitches & things falling off. I would get the same car again but without any adaptations which I think are responsible for some of the mishaps. It just needs to be fully automatic as Mr's physiotherapy success means he can now weight bear to transfer into the car & even get the wheelchair in & out by himself if I'm not around as it has the sliding back doors & seats can be taken out.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done for keeping so positive, Westi, what a day you have both had…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Sorry about your problems Westi. Inconvenient to be without a car though, especially in this awful wet weather. The problem is navigating all the bureauracratic involved in finding a suitable replacement.
Geoff
KG Regular

You have my sympathy having just been down that road. Still sorting out as garage spelt my name wrong on the road tax payment.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A quick question, Geoff…..am I right in thinking you use grow lights for your early sowings?
I’ve been considering wether it’s worth getting some LED ones!

Westi
KG Regular

Well I was tested today alerting the insurance company. Had to ring the police as we got no incident number, then when I finally got through to them I rang the insurance company to find they have outsourced nearly all parts of their insurance & then when I got through to the 3rd company they didn't even ask for the incident number just advised me we would have to pay excess, then when I told them this was an add on in our policy so covered I ended back at another one who promptly told me it was the previous firm's remit & I have to apply to them once they charge me any excess to get it back.

In amongst all of this it occurred to me no-one took down the incident number so on hold again, then I made the mistake of asking them can they tell me where the car is as we have camera equipment in there which the police have bagged it but only told it was in a Bournemouth garage! This took well over two hours & the final not so cheerful lady just confirmed with Mr I was actually his wife & they would ring again, but don't know when.

We are seriously now thinking we won't get another car as Mr has his mobility scooters; (one off road & long range & one little for the shops). I think I will get a little covered one as well as a covered metal trailer add on to take stuff; including the dog to the plot. Any pay out from the claim can pay for this. Damn car is cursed anyway & we have probably paid the garage way more than the cost of any scooter! Could have done with a lay down in a dark room, but still might need this option! ;)
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

What a nightmare of a day, Westi….hope you manage to get everything sorted!

Geoff
KG Regular

Yes OH I use a couple of growing bulbs and I really like them. They are compact fluorescents - 2 x 125W that I use 5-9 morning and evening at the moment.
I've briefly looked at LEDs because I thought I could reduce my power consumption but it didn't prove economical to swap them.
There is another difficulty. I'm worried that some busybody might report me for growing cannabis as you can see the lights from the road. My propagator is home made with three solid sides, a clear side towards the outside and a clear lid. When the lights are on I fix a white board on the window side and I add an insulated lid faced with radiator foil. During the day when the lights and covers are off the bulbs don't create much shade. When I looked at LED's their area would be most of the lid and I couldn't figure out a way of them not shading the plants when they were off, the only alternative seemed to be to have them on longer hence why I decided they weren't cheaper than the current setup. I hope you can follow this somewhat garbled answer, I could post photographs.
It might be talking to an LED supplier they will have an answer to this problem (slightly different if you aren't starting from a working setup) or you might not be concerned about the lights being visible.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you so much for the reply, Geoff….I can visualise the set up you have, so really helpful, thank you! I hadn’t really given any thoughts to the light pollution, so this is something I will have to give some thought to, as my greenhouse is over-looked by two of my neighbours.
A couple of other questions, if you don’t mind, Geoff, does your set up include bottom heat of some kind, and how many weeks do you think you gain from using your set up?
It seems to be quite an expensive thing to get set up, so want to get it right if I go ahead with things.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Forgot to say, it rained most of the night, and is absolutely chucking it down at the moment…..never known anything quite like this!

Geoff
KG Regular

This is a photo I took in February 2020. There is a soil warming cable underneath and the one you can see round the sides both controlled from the one rodstat. The front boards lift out for access mostly removed in the photo, they are painted white on the inside like the rest of the structure.
It is a bit of an indulgence as it does cost quite a bit to run. It must save me some weeks in the shorter Northern growing season but I've never really thought it through. For example, I grow the sweet peas from a February sowing (they are the LHS of the photo) so I don't have to manage them in a cold frame over Winter. The rootrainers on right are mangetout for an early crop in the polytunnel. I must have taken the photo just before I swapped things round and sowed peppers and tomatoes (might be at the front edge on reflection) though now I do them in the first batch, 16th February this year.
IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4376.JPG (3.25 MiB) Viewed 266 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you, Geoff, really helpful, so will give it some thought…..

Compo
KG Regular

ImageJust saying hi ....sorry it's been a while. But all good here in Somerset. Just a mile away from the new car battery gigafactory. Nice w
17093977309693893461456956318081.jpg
17093977309693893461456956318081.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 249 times
eather but cold
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Compo
KG Regular

ImageJust saying hi ....sorry it's been a while. But all good here in Somerset. Just a mile away from the new car battery gigafactory. Nice weather if not a bit fresh
17093977309693893461456956318081.jpg
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic