Mycorrhizal Fungae

If you've found the information on the seed packet to be sadly lacking, this is the place to find out more, or add your comments!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Which is best? How do you find it? It’s for using with tomato plants.
Geoff
KG Regular

I wouldn't have thought you needed it for tomatoes. I think I've seen it on TV (probably Chris Beardshaw on Beechgrove) that using leafmould is almost the same effect and a lot cheaper. I make all my potting composts using leafmould in place of peat.
Primrose
KG Regular

I suspect Geoff is right. Have never used this for anything. A few chicken manure pellets or blood fish and bone have always worked for me if I felt extra nutrients were needed. Buying all this stuff obviously adds to the cost of growing these products and I suspect it,s easy to be taken in and persuaded you need them if you feel rather inexperienced at growing veg. A good layer of compost on the ground at the beginning of the season is probably sufficient.
Westi
KG Regular

I just prep the soil very lightly over winter with a sprinkle of 6X flakes thrown down. I do pot them on several times as seedlings before planting to have extra deep roots to find their way down deeper, so not relying totally on the prepped top area. If I note any signs of stress then I give them a seaweed foliar feed via their plastic bottle for watering, but have not have to do this for a few years.
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

I am hopeless at growing tomatoes, always have been. No excuse, my Papa was great at it and I helped him every year in his greenhouse. Doesn’t matter if I buy them in or grow them from seed, same thing, poor crops.
A google found an article that said mycorrhizal fungi could help make the plant more nutrient and water efficient an increase the crops… hence I’m thinking about trying it. It’s our first year in the house so no leave mulch to use as of yet.
Primrose
KG Regular

Myrkk. I don't think you should berate yourself too much for a ooor result with tomatoes. After all, you,re not exactly in the best and warmest location in the UK for growing them!

Don't know if you,re growing them in a greenhouse or outdoors. If outdoors, have you tried the tumbling bush varieties which are low enough to have a cloche cover over them? Might. make a difference. It might be what,s happening above the ground rather than below which is influencing your results.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic