Anyone experimenting ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Happymouse
KG Regular

Are any of you conducting your own experiments this year. I'm not doing anything exciting other than I planted my runner beans without taking them out of their pots. The pots had enormous holes in the bottom for the roots to come through. I thought why disturb them by taking them out. So far so good. It is a lot easier to water them and they seem happy so far. I buried the pots about 2" deep with 4 beans in each pot.
peter
KG Regular

John at our site is trying to recruit us all to his grand experiment for next year. He is starting it on his plot this year.

Whatever you grow, whereever it is on the site, water half, do not water half.

He had been talking to a veg exhibitor who claimed to never water his stuff and has decided to test the theory.

One exception, stuff transplanted from pots is allowed minimal water for a week or so, to allow the roots to spread.

I don't water much anyway if I can possibly avoid it. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Yes, I'm experimenting about whether my peas will be finished in time to plant my tomatoes in their spot. And the experiment isn't working! :( My poor tomatoes have got stressed in their pots waiting for a spot in the garden. Yes, I know I should have potted them on but they're already in pretty big pots and I kept hoping the peas would be finished soon enough.
I'm also planting trailing nasturtiums as ground cover around the tomatoes to suppress weeds. It might not work but it's going to look lovely!
Mr Potato Head

I'm experimenting with my psychic powers. However, initial results are not good... Just 'willing' the rabbits to stay off my carrots is not having much effect. :cry: However, I am confident that one of the giant slugs will eventually turn carnivorous and start hunting them down. :twisted:
Chantal
KG Regular

I'm shocking the old timers by planting two thirds of my plot on the diagonal so the beans and peas run north to south. For the last few years the peas have grown up one side of the netting and then across the floor heading south on the other side. This year everything is growing UP so I think it might be working. As a result of the planning I also have onions, garlic, potatoes and various other root vegetables also running diagonally. Whether it'll make any difference in the long run I don't know.
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
taralastair
KG Regular

I am trying the "aztec trio" of sweetcorn, beans and pumpkins all in the same space. All seem happy so far.
Tara
Wellie
KG Regular

Don't tell Johnboy whatever you do !
Wellie
X
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Why? Doesnt Johnboy approve of threesomes?
Wellie
KG Regular

Oh Jenny....

That was brilliant !
What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity. The good they do is inconceivable....
Compo
KG Regular

Nothing that new for me as a newbie, got my raised beds in place different compositions of soil / dung / mush compost in them. Also am now pulling new pots and putting all my old seed potatoes that are left over in their space, i like the idea of diagonal rows...but no good for me as my plot already runs that way any way

Other plot holders have been plagued by rabbits, they have not bothered with my raised beds....also I have put plastic bottles over new brassicas, that has given them a good humid start and kept pests off, plastic milk bottles have been fine, their shaded plastic stopping the scorch of the sun. Also making home made fertiliser with nettle, comfrey and wood ash.........Guess I like mucking about.

We are all mad scientists me thinks

Compo
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

Mr Potato Head wrote:I'm experimenting with my psychic powers. However, initial results are not good... Just 'willing' the rabbits to stay off my carrots is not having much effect. :cry: However, I am confident that one of the giant slugs will eventually turn carnivorous and start hunting them down. :twisted:

Mr PH is not the force strong within you?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Mr Potato Head

Yes, the force is strong in me, but these bunnies are just don't seem to be falling for my Jedi mind-tricks... :wink:

Don't want you lot thinking I've lost my touch! :twisted:
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Jenny,
I'm sure I don't know what you mean!!! Even if the occaision were to arise then even if the mind was willing the body has long passed it's sell by date!
Sincerely, Johnboy.
Mr Potato Head

Technically speaking, everything is an experiment for me, as it's the first time i've ever grown anything more than mould... and it's fair to say that I've gleaned an awful lot of useful info from this forum! (And the mag of course... ;) )
Joioy
KG Regular

Mr Potato Head wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:01 pm I'm experimenting with my psychic powers. However, initial results are not good... Just 'willing' the rabbits to stay off my carrots is not having much effect. :cry: However, I am confident that one of the giant slugs will eventually turn carnivorous and start hunting them down. :twisted:
I personally do not have psychic abilities, but over the past few months I have become convinced that this is all real. Previously, I didn’t believe in this at all until I talked to the psychics whom I found here https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-psychi ... ucy-benton . They helped me understand many areas of my life in which I had previously had big problems. If you are interested, you can read this material.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic