Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Did you see the moon this morning.??

As I stepped out the back door about 7am I caught sight of a curved sliver of red on the horizon out to the ESE, or therabouts...tried to make it a vapour trail heading over the horizon..but then quickly realised it was a sliver of moon showing...rising quite rapidly, seen through a very cold looking sky.. quite amazing.

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Well no ice, 1C but soil not frozen or anything but a keep the coat on day as there was a breeze & dog's water bowl was frozen which surprised her. I just mooched around doing some weeding & clearing. Rolled back the rest of the plastic on the flooded beds without any mishaps & the one I uncovered on Sunday is drying; all the water in the channels has gone but bed is well wet.

Taking a couple of days off now to catch up with the work girls & the gossip & by then the plastic shed should have been delivered so the next challenge awaits. Soz in advance if my cussing reaches your ears up North! ;)
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We will be listening out for you, Westi….🙂

Starting to dry out a little here, the wind might have a real bite to it but, it’s doing a really good job!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

It’s quietly treacherous up here currently, so quietly that a (empty) school bus slid sideways down a hill into several cars. Happily the driver was ok.

Not too windy so your cussing might not make it as far as Scotland, good luck with the shed.
Westi
KG Regular

I saw that on the news Myrkk, how no-one was injured was sheer luck!

Temp going up slightly down here, balmy 6C for the next week, there is some rain following that, but only light showers & the breeze is remaining so fingers crossed no flooding. 1st catch up with the girls was a very refined affair today with much reminiscing which was great fun for me as most remembered my embarrassing moments but forgot their own! It is funny remembering little things as suddenly you have the image of the others involved too & the outcome, which was usually in my case presenting at the linen room for a clean uniform, then to the charity shop for shoes...you can join the dots! The joys of running a dementia ward! There were many uplifting moments as well when patients remembered briefly or had extraordinary family & friends.

Tomorrow is full out catch up on the gossip day, different friends, current times. Probs not quite so much fun & frolics but a chance for the girls to let off steam.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Raked in some fertiliser, mulched with 12 barrow loads of compost and sheeted over with polythene so the potato bed is ready to go.
Westi
KG Regular

Interesting catch up today which made me very pleased I took early retirement! It was a pretty sombre overall & quite sad to see my friends so low in spirit. The recent doctors strikes have really impacted on them, so not the political target they had in mind, two are still waiting surgery, one of whom was told it was serious last September, but surgery cancelled twice.

You kind of forget the staff are also patients from time to time, no perks for them in the NHS, but apparently those working for private providers get seen quicker. Obviously motive is to get them back to work but NHS staff are not seen & their condition deteriorates so even longer to get them back into work! Something missing in this logic with the number of vacancies in the NHS!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Anyone else having a job sending posts

Clive.
KG Regular

I'll post this then to see.

Made me smile as I once had a 'post' arrive in the post...it was an up stop stay for one of the Church bells. One had got broken and the bell company cut some timber to length, taped on an address label stuck some stamps onto the timber and posted it parcel post. I fitted it leaving the address label and stamps in situ for someone to find and puzzle over in years to come :)

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Well OH as we were both online at the same time, my post has disappeared completely again as you must have just beat me to send, so maybe it was this. I did remember for a while to do full editor & preview, but forgot again.

I shall do a resume of my post. a) Bloke who was going to buy the metal shed has been gifted a proper wooden shed as there was one where someone in his family moved to. b) Have to get rid of it as won't be able to put it together so did a deal with my neighbour who was well excited. c) He gets it free, it was a black Friday purchase but also got it on a Prime deal on top. d) Deal is he will take my rubbish to the tip for free for a year; I currently pay him for his petrol & time & e) He is going to replace all the dodgy fence posts on the plot for me as has a huge stash of fence posts. I think this is really fair as it is a right pain trying to dig out all of the posts, removing & then replacing the chicken wire & the graft of whacking the new ones in, I can barely lift the thing & finally f) he is going to help me put together my plastic one. He threw in f) as he says he gets really twitchy watching me do things as I'm totally cack handed! :)
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

In answer to your question OH it is quick reply that is not sending, I sent successfully on Full Editor, but after I had saved it I tried on Quick reply, nothing happened.
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

A quick reply on quick reply to see if...
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Seems to be okay now….

Myrkk
KG Regular

Wow Westi that’s a great trade
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic