2024 season begins

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Need to get cracking.....................................
just sowed my Onion seeds in the heated propagator, 36 white sturon and 36 Robinsons Mammoth Red, a bit later than I had planned , but then we used to always sow them on Boxing Day in the past.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I had some of the seeds from that French gardener I found last year left, so followed his instructions again so already sowed mine. It does feel soo wrong but they shot up, so have been planted out & looking OK, but not comfortable with them, so they have a mesh cover over them. Still standing proud & only lost a couple; but fortunately their chosen beds are not affected by the flooding.

Come January I will dust off the propagator for some of the other tricky slow growers as the saved trimmed chillies & peppers have not survived the condensation in the tunnel.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You two are putting me to shame….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I only use one propagator to curb my over enthusiasm, it will probably be around February when the onions come out for potting on from cells to larger yoghurt pots. This coming year I shall repeat the trials I did last year and start peas in the prop too, then chillies and then tommies.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

I was thinking to ask when people sowed their onions. I can set up a propagator, so might do that soon. Only growing red onions and shallots I think, the allium leaf miner calls for lots of mesh, not worth growing regular onions that are cheap in the shop.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

First green loop has appeared in the prop
Primrose
KG Regular

One of life's great ironies.
Now that I,m too disabled to garden, I,ve just won a £40 voucher from our local gardening nursery in a Christmas raffle!,
I might be able to use it on vegetable seedlings if Mr Primrose is still able and willing to try some veg growing next spring but I guess we,ll be restricted to their available varieties, rather than my own preferred vegetable choices. Still beggars can,t be choosers but life is full of these little frustrations!
Westi
KG Regular

Congratulations on your little bit of luck Primrose! If a voucher then you should be able to buy anything from them to use it. Maybe a nice few days out mooching around the garden centre to see what they have then use it for a cuppa & cake. I get vouchers most years & did buy seeds & plants to use them until I compared prices & saw their ridiculous mark ups, so now I use them for girlie catch up's in the coffee shop!
Westi
Myrkk
KG Regular

Congratulations on your win, garden centres don’t seem to be plants only anymore so hopefully you’ll find something to buy.

Thought I would try my propagator out with some sow all year herbs… got a few green shoots but they were quickly overtaken by MUSHROOMS! I posted a pic on a ‘shroom group I’m a member off and it turns out they are magic mushrooms eek. Not sure if they’re an edible type or not but I won’t be trying them. I’ve put that compost all over my raised beds too, going to be an interesting year. Not sure how I’ll get that out!
Primrose
KG Regular

Prepare for a visit by the men wearing blue helmets and prepare to point to this posting as a sign of your innocence,. I once found what aI thiught was a cannabis plant growing in one of our borders! Surprising as I thiught they required consistent heat but it was located near our bird feeder at the time and can only assume it was a stray seed from there.

Perhaps local harsh weather will kill everything off?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic