Root trainers

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Myrkk
KG Regular

Got some of these for my birthday along with a propagator and a sub to KG Mag (yaaaaaaay).

I’ve never used root trainers. Are they good for all plant types? I’m assuming you wouldn’t want to put any root veggies in them as it states the long tap root will die back upon contact with air. They sound useful for getting a good root system going before you plant into the veggie bed.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sweet peas love them….oh yes, that’s not a vegetable.🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Myrkk
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:58 am Sweet peas love them….oh yes, that’s not a vegetable.🙂
Lol
Geoff
KG Regular

There are two depths, I only use the deeper ones. I use them for peas (2 per cell), broad beans, runner beans, sweetcorn, sweet peas and gourds every year. This year I experimented with leeks. Instead of sowing them in a pot then lining them out to grow on before putting them in their final place I sowed thinly then thinned to a couple in each rootrainer cell and let them grow to planting size, seemed to work OK. I think they are brilliant though a little expensive.
retropants
KG Regular

I'd never have thought of using them for leeks Geoff, what a great idea. WIll definitely do that next year! Thankyou.
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

I’ve used them for a few years now, mainly for broad beans, peas, runners and French beans. I’ve found them really good, they definitely help to develop a good deep root system before planting out. It can be a bit of a delicate process I find though extracting the plants from the modules when planting out!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I sow my sweetcorn in them, works a treat
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic