Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very impressive, Geoff.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Raked up 3 big bags of leaves today but note the big tree has a lot more to drop. Last year I only got 2 small bags in total which I've dragged out to store this years. As such a limited supply of last years what you recommend I prioritise?
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If it is really well rotted leaf mould, the old boys used to use it where roots crops were going to grow!

Westi
KG Regular

Thanks OH!

I have just the spot in my old patched up cold frame where I grow my carrots. I've got to take out the soil & re-sieve it this year, as stones have worked their way up & most of this years carrots pulled to date are forked. I was going to put membrane down under it when filled but didn't, but that will also be done as it's quite deep & don't want to be tackling this again as the glass is quite brittle as old.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Severe floods again here, we got to our doctors appointments, but an eight mile detour was required to get home on the only road passable which is now only passable in certain vehicles.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Been researching raised beds again & have found a supplier that is much cheaper than the previous one. It is another slotted together one but with some extra features like slots already in place to put hoops on for netting & ability to extend. Still not what I'd call cheap but I have to factor in the height I want, which is where the £'s come in, quite reasonable if I just wanted edging. I already have sent a letter to Mr Santa regards a little Keter shed to store my stakes in over winter which seems to have met with his approval so I best not push my luck & just buy this myself.

Will measure up properly tomorrow as I think I might need 2 extensions, for the length I need/ want. Of course even with slot together there is every chance I could still be building this after Xmas! ;) Fortunately I get my state pension in Feb, so will celebrate finally getting this after missing out twice with them moving the age parameters by buying myself a huge bag of topsoil to fill it! Perfect!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Regarding the top soil, Westi, it might be worth asking any local builders if they are doing any ground works, as it cost a fortune to get rid of in skips and they might be willing to drop you off a truck load or two….just a thought.

Westi
KG Regular

Will do OH. I do stop & have a wee look in skips & have a couple of builders doing a lot of work around here & the same guys keep popping up on the sites so they know me. Unfortunately most of their jobs are bungalow refurbs with most going up not out as they have quite a huge foot print anyway as dead posh in their day, but worth a chat.

Rained all morning again today so taking the plunge with one raised bed for the soggiest area, which is a bit hard to differentiate currently as that area is underwater again! I won't be buying just yet until we have a run of decent weather so I can at least attempt to assemble it as I will be getting it delivered down there.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Have you priced up, using decking boards, Westi….they seem to last far better than most wood….I would use the thickest ones they do.
Not as good as sleepers I know…..

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Even sleepers rot if sitting in the wet, were I to do mine again I would line the inside edges with the pvc that is used to do the soffits on houses, just so they are not always wet.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Presumably gravel boards are intended for a similar use, and are fairly cheap. If you want to DIY something.

I've been skeptical about raised beds, they often seem to consume a lot of time and energy for little gain - or at last what people build at our allotments ! What has changed my view a little is getting hold of pallet collars from work - 4 solid untreated boards, with steel hinged corners, 20cm high and stacking. Two of these stacked made a carrot planter - and it seems like the claim that carrot root fly don't fly higher than 40cm is true, I don't seem to get damage. The wood will rot, but they were free anyway. They are not all that big though.
Westi
KG Regular

It looks like it is going to be some time before I have to consider buying, let alone building it, sunny days are very limited on the long range forecast, but lot's of rain! In the meantime I have been moving some not perfect compost from another bin onto the drowned beds. To whoever suggested this was enough to make a difference thank you! I have only built up the bed that has flooded before, so now it is about 1' higher. This bed was definitely very wet today but not flooded today, whereas the others were underwater again. I wanted to save the new opened 'nice' compost for digging into the brassica's & other greedy guys beds for next year, so had a peek at the 2nd compost & although some woody bits still looked fine to use for mulching & this project. One down, 5 to go, but at least I'm giving my back a rest with number of days I won't be going down because of the rain.

I cut down the last dahlia's & all the roses as well today, so a full view of the plot again. Asparagus is ready to be cut down too when I can go down next, so then shed will be in view too. It can also have some of this 2nd compost to see it through winter & I've secured some more floor boards to raise the old beds a bit as well. Might have just got lucky last time as every length I was given fitted exactly to secure to the posts insitu, so fingers crossed these are from the same batch!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Had a trip to a garden centre in Aberdeenshire, got a bottle of Malt Whisky, our garden centres can be a bit different to some.....................
Westi
KG Regular

OK this rain is getting silly & my supposedly waterproof shoes are anything but! I can't find any wellies I can get my feet in as have a really high instep, but they are a bit heavy & clunky anyway & trap a lot of mud in the tread judging by 'Mr's. Can anyone suggest a trainer type of shoe that is proper waterproof?
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

You want some hill walking shoes, I pay a bit more for Merrell shoes, but there are others. Be aware whilst breathable membrane shoes/boots are good they are not water proof, just water resistant, something like these perhaps.
https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/womens/foo ... lsrc=3p.ds
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic