Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Despite a yellow warning it appears to be fine to go down to the allotment tomorrow. 0% chance of rain after 9am & just a light breeze. I've been sorting out some of the cupboards & wardrobes at home today, call it a late spring clean or an early one! Been pretty tough & loads of clothes, bags & shoes into the charity bags & strange food purchases into the bin, (mostly Mr's finds at farmers markets, he just can't help himself)!

It didn't give me the amount of satisfaction I thought it would, so glad to be going down to the plot to tackle jobs that will make an impact. Mind found quite a few £'s in Mr's pockets so some compensation!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There’s nothing to beat working the land, Westi!
Last edited by oldherbaceous on Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And I had to look up the word, ‘cathartic’….🙂

Cider Boys
KG Regular

I picked in some Annie Elizabeth apples today, I rate them as the best cooker and keeping apple of all. I haven't bothered with the Bramleys but my sheep have enjoyed them. There are still several traditional orchards scattered around me with all the fruit going to waste but at least the Fieldfares and Redwings won't go hungry when they arrive. I might sow some broad beans directly if the weather dries up.

Happy gardening

Barney
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good that nature gets to use our wasted crops, Barney.
I’m looking to sow broad beans too, as soon as the soil dries a little.

tigerburnie
KG Regular

Redwings have been here a while and I saw my first fieldfares yesterday, so they'll be on their way ciderboys, keeping an eye out for waxwings too, we had some grey phalaropes blown over in the storm, proper lost their way they had.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I knew we had a significant amount of rain as I had to check outside at one point as it was so heavy it sounded like hail. Lottie is sand over clay so down I went as I promised I would help the neighbour load my stuff for the dump in his car & do some wee chores.

Well! It certainly was significant rain, 6 - 8"inches of water on most of Plot 1, including inside of the tunnel, which I bailed out so had somewhere to sit as couldn't get into the shed.

Only one thing caught my eye to do without causing damage while waiting which was one of the sweet potato leaves were yellowing & that area was strangely dry. I had a little tickle a few days ago & nothing promising, but hey got 5 others so dug proper as a bit bored. Reward! Not many, but one of these is the biggest I think I have ever grown & from my slips from last years crop!
fullsizeoutput_1102.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1102.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 66357 times
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The ground is starting to get saturated now….

Westi
KG Regular

I hope everyone is not rowing around their plots, seen some pics on FB & there has been floods proper with sheds only showing their roofs, along with greenhouses smashed by debris in the water. I know I am lucky that we have no creeks or rivers nearby, but think some of these folk thought they were safe as well as rivers were quite a distance from their plots.

I went down today as we had some sunny spells & no where near the volume of rain. Most of the water had dispersed only the broccoli still sitting in water, but they are basically finished. Stomped in the other brassicas which were askew & banged in their stakes again & secured them. I will have to harvest them I think as they will likely try to bolt but they are ready. Ditto the PSB, Kalettes & Kale, but not as much standing water in the net structure & things still pretty upright. Tunnel had pretty much dried out & all fine in there so threw the compost on the closed beds, but I didn't dig it.

Short lived respite though as on a yellow warning for the weekend with gales added into mix! Not had any house flooding in the area, even houses by the rivers are OK to date. Stay safe & warm everyone!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A good early start this morning…😀

Geoff
KG Regular

Well that's my annual room service and repair of my 28 bird boxes completed. Well 27 really, as I started on one a mouse popped its head up in the hole so I took pity and left it in peace. Made a change from all the slugs, why do they climb up into the boxes?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

How many had been used, Geoff?

Well I had so many jobs planned for today, as it was showing sun all day…but how wrong they are, been chucking it down for over an hour now, and doesn’t look like it’s going to stop anytime soon…..at least I got all the grass cut over the allotments yesterday….it’s still growing like mad!

Clive.
KG Regular

Sorry, Old H', the sun is up our way today. ;)

This morning I had a bit of time in the big garden and was able to put in some Senshyu Yellow onions, haven't grown them for some years but my colleague had popped them on the order so in they went...forking ground for one row of planting at a time, wouldn't be able to set foot otherwise. The ground is slightly banked, south facing in front of a big wall. Wire cages put over the rows, else as soon as the green shoots appear something will have a chew or peck..

Forecast is showing us some spots of rain this afternoon......with a few more periods of rain over the week...

C.
Geoff
KG Regular

Usually they are nearly all well used apart from the remaining two letter box ones, I've never had much success with those and am gradually putting standard fronts on them, but this year there were quite a few that looked like they had little or no use. There seem to have been plenty of young tits and tree sparrows about so I don't understand it really.
Shouldn't say this really but our weather has been quite kind recently. We seemed to be at the centre of Babet with very low pressure but little wind or rain, all circulating round us, and we seem to have got on better than most since as well.
Clive.
KG Regular

I'm just enjoying a lovely Conference pear...the cordon tree at home here has done really well whilst those just up the road haven't faired so well...my dad set up his original cordon row of fruit with protection from the garage wall that is a 5ft to their north, ie; a 3ft slab path width and a 2ft strip of garden up to the trees. These are from the second planting in the location. I have some Concorde to sample next that have done well too, next tree along. Louise Bonne of Jersey not good though, bit hit and miss that one here...and has to be just right or else I reckon it tastes soapy.?!..but not a problem this year as there aren't any.!

We took 72mm from storm Babet but then had 2 doses of 20mm over the week after to add to that and last night 10mm, so many jobs are a bit no go at the moment.

C.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic