Autumn Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I remember several years ago there was such a storm in Aberdeen. The Aberdeen Harbour Master was interviewed on the telly.

The interviewer asked, "What's the wind speed now?"

The Habour Master replied, "I don't know but it's just blown a Land Rover off the cliff".

Blimey.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Still here, half the village lost power, but it's back on again, the wind has dropped to a more normal 40mph but it is still raining hard. Roads and bridges have been swept away nearby, a lovely old bridge at the Bridge of Dun had partially collapsed last night and the road at Marykirk has been washed away. A bit closer to home we are able to get in and out of the village seemingly, but the road that bypasses out village doesn't seem to have any traffic on it, though I can barely see it out of the window. Our roof is still on, but some harling on the conservatory has come off, other than that we seem to be ok at the moment, won't be going out in this been to the coal bunker to fill up for the fire and that is far enough.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Gosh tigerburnie that sound quite hairy enough to be getting on with. Thanks for letting us know you,re ok. Just stay safely tucked indoors in the warm for the time being.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Cosy here with the stove lit and a Nespresso Cappuccino and a bit of home made carrot cake
Primrose
KG Regular

Simple pleasures are always the best!
It,s pouring with rain here too and there's something rsther pleasant about sitting inside nice and dry while you watch the rain streaming down the window panes.althiugh it does make you feel guiltily about those less fortunate in these difficult times.

I think carrot cake became ocular during theSecond World War when the sweetness in the carrots substituted foe Gagarin whixh was on ratio and in short supply. It still seems to have remained very popular. I guess it's now regarded as more healthy to add carrots rather than using sugar as a sweetener.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Carrot cake is one of your 5 a day, so is cider..................................well it is in this house............................
Westi
KG Regular

Good to hear you are safe & sound Tiger! Going to be quite a clean up & bridge & road reconstruction needed when Babette finally takes the hint & moves on!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Rains stopped and the winds dropped, don't have to worry about the roof coming off tonight, to be fair this wee bungalow seems to be a toughie.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Sounds like yourself, Burnie….and I mean that in the nicest of ways!
We were so lucky here, as we missed nearly all the bad weather….

I know I do some really stupid things but, think I did the ultimately stupid thing yesterday! I was making a little wooden stand up for someone, on my patio. I was bent over cutting the last few bits of timber, when a drowsy wasp kept flying into my face…so I tried swatting it with the handsaw, but ended up missing the wasp and hitting my head with the saw, teeth first. Split the skin a treat and made finishing a real nuisance, as the blood kept dripping onto everything…..probably could have done with a few stitches, but it will heal! Oh, the wasp made good it’s escape you will all be pleased to know….and I was left with the job of washing the patio down…..😀😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Good grief, take care OH
retropants
KG Regular

Goodness! You are lucky it wasn’t worse!
Westi
KG Regular

OH, next time, well hopefully never again; if you do something silly resulting in a cut that is not pulsating blood, you can cheat with the stitches & just cut some thin strips of a cloth plasters or any self adhesive non plastic dressing you have & secure to one side, & then gently pull the wound edges together & twist it so no glue on the actual cut & secure to the other side. This is the quick DIY way. You can buy proper ones at the chemists, just called Sterile Skin Closure strips. Used a lot for nippers as reduces the stress of injections & stitches & limits scarring.

I have some in my lottie bag as I'm often getting attacked by the trees, my DIY attempts; plus my own clumsiness & getting skin tears. Well out of the date, but individually wrapped so still sterile & worth having them as adhesive is much better than plasters & have the non stick patch in the middle without mucking around with twisting.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Frosty outside and there's snow on the hills.
snooky
KG Regular

Not much going on on the plot or at home so from Wednesday having a week's R&R in Turkey.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

One end of my row have had a light frost twice, but the hedge row ends before their plots as a lane there to allow the railway guys through to do inspections. Fortunately I have the hedge row & OK to date. Tunnel temp was 6.5C with both doors closed so every chance I would have got a nip outside without the hedge row.

I forgot to take my '2 Do List' down today so a bit erratic with the chores, but rather cathartic to just wander to see & do. I enjoyed sitting down listening to the radio & cutting up canes & sweetcorn etc to fit into bags to go to the tip. Lot's to do next time down though, but gave the back a rest & weather report is saying another couple of days rest for it as well!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic