Rhubarb

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Myrkk
KG Regular

Been given a voucher for a seed catalogue for my birthday and am thinking one of the things I’m going to get is some rhubarb. Love making rhubarb, rasperry and cardamom jam, nom. In fact anything rhubarb is great, might try making some rhubarb gin next year too lol.

My question is, the 3 crowns in the pack are (or I can just go for one type which would probably be Victoria)
Victoria
Timperley Early
Fultons Strawberry Surprise

I was going to plant them in different areas of the garden, but realistically
how big do these get?
Do they absolutely have to be in full sun (north east facing garden so gets limited sun)
Would they be ok, in soil that’s recently had an overgrown shrub removed? (There are still a lot of roots left over)

Thanks everyone
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't think rhubarb needs full sun. Mine is against a fence on my Western boundary so it does get quite a lot though one end of the bed is shaded by the polytunnel, it grows well. What it really wants is a heavy very rich soil so putting it in to replace a shrub will take quite a bit of work. Dig fairly deeply and incorporate as much good organic matter as you can find and keep some back for a deep mulch after planting. Also feed it well. Bonemeal is good at planting time, can feed it afterwards with fish, blood and bone or Growmore whichever you prefer and it will need watering in dry spells. Each crown will require a good square yard (or metre!).
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I have my Dads old rhubarb wine recipe if you need it, makes a delicious rose if you make it from the early redder stems.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Myrkk
KG Regular

That’s great, thanks Geoff.

Oooo, that sounds lush Burnie, would love to try making that. One my hubbie won’t drink either lol, although he did say he wouldn’t drink gin and now loves the stuff !
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Dry sugar method Rhubarb wine
you need
3lb rhubub
bag of sugar
wine yeast
yeast nutrient
Chop rhubub roughly into chunks, put in a bucket(mines a wine makers one with a lid) cover with the sugar
leave for about three days stir occasionally.
Strain juice into a demi john, rinse pulp with water to get all the sugar and make up to a gallon.
Add yeast/nutrient and ferment.
Syphon off the lees(usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks for the bubbles to stop and the wine to clear)
Drink..............................this wine does not keep so don't mess about.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic