Cod liver oil

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Is my husband trying to kill me?

After a discussion we decided that a daily dose of cod liver oil might do me some good. He bought capsules. Fair enough. Good idea. But it was like trying to swallow a pickled egg in one. (Not that I've tried that. I wouldn't eat a pickled egg anyway.) I didn't like that.

So, I abandoned the capsules. Instead he bought the stuff in a bottle. Oh Gawd! That is the worst thing I've ever had!!! I could get it down but the taste was heinous and stayed for a long time after, even though I tried to combat it with wine. Oh my. Now I know why they put the stuff in capsules. It probably was doing me some good but it's really hard to get psyched up enough to take it. :( Dunno what's next. Any ideas
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Maybe different makes do smaller sized capsules, Stravaig!

And parents used to force kids to take the spoonful of cod liver oil….how things have changed!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

He says he looked for the smallest capsules he could get, anticipating my distaste for giant blobs of medical things to swallow. I think I'll have to continue with the bottled stuff for now. At least I can get it down my neck with some wine to follow.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Used to be able to buy it mixed with orange juice.
Geoff
KG Regular

I used to be given cod liver oil and food office orange juice separately not mixed SM! (early 50's).
At the time my mother was on some weird medicine for a stomach problem that was basically hydrochloric acid, she gave me that by mistake instead of the clo one day, now that was foul.
retropants
KG Regular

My sister and I used to get force fed orange flavour cod liver oil as children. Absolutely ghastly!
Colin2016
KG Regular

Guess Childline would be red hot if they gave it to children today.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Well, in its favour, and I don't know if it's a coincidence, I've been a bit more robust since I've been taking it. I was very frail and shaky before and now I'm raring to go. Maybe it's just the bravery of tackling the stuff and necking it that provides extra confidence. Or maybe it is actually doing me some good.

I'll have some now. :D Is anyone else brave enough?

Urgh, I just did it - a whole teaspoon. That stuff is vile. But I'm developing a technique. You kinda throw it at the back of your throat where it slips down and mostly misses your mouth. That worked. :D A howp (houp?) of wine to follow did the rest of the biz. It really wasn't bad at all.
Primrose
KG Regular

Both of us at Maison Primrose have been taking a daily fish oil capsule for years. We don't find them hard to swallow. Their container is kept at room temperature. Are you storing yours in the fridge as this will make the outer casing much harder to swallow.?

I remember those wartime bottles of cod liver oil as a child. Dreadful stuff - we were always given a teaspoon of orange concentrate afterwards to take the taste away.

But there is one far worse food taste and that is having to eat tinned snoek - another wartime abomination but only the once! Even my mum heaved when serving it up on toast and it never made another appearance in our house despite the wartime food shortages!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Primrose. Brought back wartime memories. Had wale meat sausages once. Never again.
JohnN
KG Regular

I've never minded the taste of bottled CLO. I don't touch the capsules because I feel you are imbibing more gelatine capsule than oil.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic