2023 season begins..................

Polytunnels, cold frames, greenhouses, propagators & more. How to get the best out of yours...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

That's pretty much my growing season over, the climbing french beans have been nipped by frost so they are out as are the last of the sweetcorn, just some autumn raspberries producing outside. It looks bare with no parsnips or carrots, proper disaster they were, however hopefully the problems been righted going forwards.
The greenhouse now has a few strawberries still producing a grazing crop whilst I am working under glass, but that is it. The seed catalogues are dropping in the post box, so this week will see planning for next year, the three raised beds are pretty much cleared, just some self set nasturtiums giving a mountain of colour in one of them.
Hope to get out after a Salmon or a Sea trout before the month is out and the season begins, then it's winter Cod fishing from the harbour walls, not stable enough for hopping around on rocks on the rough shore this year.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

We've apparently got another wee warm spurt this week - & here I was thinking I was just about on top of the weeds! My asparagus isn't yellowing yet, but Rhubarb is tucking itself up for winter. Raspberries are really happy, my winter Chinese bed is ready for picking when it should be just thinking about growing! This global warming is really confusing me, but so very grateful for the (so far), predictable gulf stream. Not that it plays fair some years but pretty understood by the weather forecasters!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My allotments are still full of crops, so the risky late sowings I do each year, are going to be a real bonus this year!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

I'm still picking tomatoes & the peppers are finally ripening. The french beans are done and are coming out this week. WInter brassicas and leeks are just getting into their stride! I have 4 large chilli plants in the greenhouse which are absoltuely smothered, I may need to make some paste or sauce!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic