Which Compost Bin?

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

I think I need a second bin. I am now growing veg at home in a 2 x 4 m rectangle. I have one compost darlek, which is full, but not ready. I would love some advice please on what to have as the second one? Another darlek? I am used to great heaps at the allotment, we had 4 and they were easy to fill & leave to rot down, whilst using up an older one. I have very limited space at home.
robo
KG Regular

I’ve a Darlek which is full most of the time ,I’ve a rolling drum with the door on the side I’m supposed to turn this a couple of times every week I never get round to doing it ,our council decided they wanted £30 a year on top of the normal rates for emptying the green bins which is now increased to £50 I refused to pay so I also use the green bin down the plot it works if I empty it then put all the new stuff back in then leave it till the following year
Westi
KG Regular

I was thinking I would like a hot box down on the plot which would buy me back the space of a couple of the pallet compost heaps I have. When my heart rate settled after seeing the price I shelved that idea, but while looking I found this topic on the gardeners world forum.

2 suggestions came up that could work on your current darlek so the compost is warmer & therefore ready earlier freeing space without buying another bin. The first was to line the inside with thin polystyrene glued on as apparently this is what the hot bins have but their's is probably sprayed on & thicker. The 2nd was a insulated jacket used on hot water tanking secured around the outside with black plastic wrapped around to waterproof it & just some bubble plastic under the lid or I would probably just lay this or something else on the top of the compost. I would think you could find something at home to repurpose to make it waterproof or just a tarp secured around it. I have seen tanking jackets at the local tip so you could keep an eye & ear out for anyone refurbing their house who might have one?
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Are you looking to hot compost or other type (not sure of correct name)

If darlek works for you and you can usually pick one up cheap/free from council or give away forums.

For bulk (Hot) compost suggest a 2 or 3 bay system so you can easily move from one bay to the other as it rots down.
Other ideas Builders bag or even chicken wire.
If you can line the bays with cardboard & on top then cover with plastic.
AdrienneRobinson
KG Regular

This year I lined my dalek type bin with thick cardboard and it worked a treat! Kept my compost much hotter and it therefore broke down much quicker.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Just when I have re-cycled loads of cardboard, of well maybe try it next season now.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
retropants
KG Regular

I'll try that next time I empty mine! thanks for the good idea.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I could do with another big dalek, this ones full to the top, I'm not able to turn it over so it will take longer to be ready, probably another year.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Tiger, it will soon be Xmas, not a bad gift to get from Santa! ;)

As new & empty you could prep it to increase the temp from some of the options mentioned & move the old compost into the new one & when old one emptied prep that one as well if it seems successful. As the old is broken down a bit it should be much quicker to be ready.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic