Egg Shell Identification

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Colin2016
KG Regular

Been finding egg shells like the one in the picture when taking dog for walk. These are always on the road not under bushes as if they are from a nest.

Can anybody identify which bird has laid it?
Attachments
Shell 2 s.jpg
Shell 2 s.jpg (260.45 KiB) Viewed 20679 times
Shell 1 s.jpg
Shell 1 s.jpg (225.47 KiB) Viewed 20679 times
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Blackbird.
retropants
KG Regular

1” wide? That’s quite big, I was thinking pigeon or dove perhaps. Is it white or blue? Hard to tell.
Geoff
KG Regular

I thought pigeon family by the size but my ancient Observer's Book of Birds' Eggs has them all as white, doesn't include the now common collared dove but I've found a reference that says "white oval eggs are smooth and glossy, and about 31 mm by 23 mm in size". Ducks are also white in the book so why is there a colour duck egg blue? The only big plain blue wild bird one I can find is heron described as "beautiful delicate greenish-blue not glossy" but they are only supposed to lay early in the year. There are some pale blue hen eggs. I think you'll have to look for what birds are in the area.
Colin2016
KG Regular

It is white.
There are loads of pigeons & collard doves here but not seen any blackbirds, usually see them when they are looking for worms.
Thanks you both for your help.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic