Sourdough bread

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

OK, sitrep on the sourdough starter.

Husband fed it yesterday, according to my instructions. I wasn't very well. It is showing a little activity, ie some bubbles on the surface and a nice tangy smell. Hmm, I still think it's too dry.

If I was a beginner who follows instructions to the letter I'd be very disapppointed but I just know this isn't right. Experience. (I hate instructions anyway - how does a packet of starter know how warm or humid or otherwise my house is?)

I gave it its third and final feed (before use) a few minutes ago and was still unhappy about how dry it is so I trusted my instincts and blatted a bit of filtered warm water into it.

It should be ready for use soon. Let's see. Anyway, you only have to use half the packet for your first attempt. This is crazy really because you can make perfectly good bread without this faff and hassle of sourdough. It's just one of these things that's a challenge and you feel like you achieved something if you can get it right. Cheffy nonsense, eh Geoff? :lol:

But without chefs who try to innovate we'd still be eating mince and tatties every day. (Or industrial chickens.)
Stravaig
KG Regular

It's starting to look better - little bit of bubbling on the top, nothing like the vigorous activity I'd been led to expect. Even so, I'd not trust it to make a decent loaf. Either I'll feed it again or perhaps use some of it along with dried yeast. I have (had?) a lot of respect for Richard Bertinet but I'm a bit disappointed with this product and wouldn't recommend it to you. Let's see what happens next.

Probably I'll split the flacid and feeble starter into two - feed again one half and follow the RB instructions for the second half.

We have two supermarkets within five minutes walk, I dunno why I'm doing this but you guys could buy your veg from a supermarket or wherever so I think you'll understand the satisfaction (pride?) of DIY. :D

A couple of years ago we had a party and I'd made so-called Scottish rolls. I'd expected someone to ask where I'd bought them and I had my snooty reply ready. But it didn't happen. The first person up to the table to be served said, "Ooh, you must have made these." Totally deflated my snootiness. :lol:
Stravaig
KG Regular

Westi, about bread going dry. It's often the fat content that prevents that. But real sourdough doesn't have any fat (you know, butter or whatever) like many breads have. So, it will go dry more quickly.

You could try cutting the large boule in half and freezing a half of it. Maybe that would be a pain. :roll:
(Don't mind me. I'm always laughing at my own jokes. Not much else to laugh about.)
retropants
KG Regular

Stravaig wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:18 am Maybe that would be a pain. :roll:
(Don't mind me. I'm always laughing at my own jokes. Not much else to laugh about.)
:lol: :lol: :lol: even fuinnier if you have the emoji in text form !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic