Baked tatties

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Stravaig
KG Regular

Sorry if I've posted similar before but I've no memory and am too depressed to challenge myself.

A baked tattie is a very nice thing but a twice-baked tattie is more than twice as nice. :D Yeah, you can cook them in the meecrowavvy but they're better in the oven where the skins crisp up. Compromise and get them going in the microwave.

Stab them to death and then cook for four miuntes, wait a minute or so, rotate, and cook for another four minutes. Then place in the oven.

Once you have crispy skins and a cooked middle, scoop out the tattie flesh. Add to a bowl with whatever else you might fancy. Cheese is usually a good bet. Mix well whatever you have in the bowl. Spoon it into the potato skins and bake again. It's really delicious! You can serve with a salad, fish, anything really. It could be a side dish or even the main dish.

M&S used to sell similar back in the early 80s. I used to love them! The boss had kindly put a microwave in the office kitchen so it was easy to get a hot lunch without breaking the bank. But they're very easy to make from scratch.

I don't really rate M&S food any more. We got a "dine in" special the other day. A steak pie. It was bowf. Even my gannet of a husband didn't manage much of it.
Geoff
KG Regular

Love baked potatoes. A couple of years ago we discovered a potato variety called Manitou. We have just started baking this year's crop, visitors we had at the weekend were well impressed.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We always use Kestrel, Geoff, but might try Manitou next year as well.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Stravaig, thta's how I do my jackets, with the mixed cheese filling. Not always, because, time. But when I can.

I've not heard of Manitou Geoff, will look them out !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic