Too many courgettes ?

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Mr Primrose has just found using grated courgettes with oats in this way actually makes a very good substitute base for pizza ! We had it at lunchtime and would definitely try it again. One more way of using up the darned things!

https://youtu.be/hfjrmVNBrH8
Geoff
KG Regular

I didn't follow it through to end but it looks similar to the courgette fritters my wife makes that we eat coated with chilli jam.
Primrose
KG Regular

They sound nice Geoff too!

. Yes, probably a similar generic recipe which can be used for a multitude of different things . Would never have thought of mixing grated courgettes, oats and grated cheese together to make a pizza base but it did work quite well. But if picked yiung and fresh there,E no need to remove the skin.
Westi
KG Regular

I've also tried a cauliflower pizza base which is really nice too as quite crispy & great for using those sneaky ones that go over slightly. But I will be trying this as my courgettes are now coming after some rodent was stealing the wee fruit developing behind the flowers.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

The cauliflower alternative sounds intriguing too. Never thiught of using it in this way. A little like cauliflower rice which was a new one on me when itstarted to become advertised more widely a while back.
Where is Straivaig when we,re talking about cooking? As a chef she may have some interesting insights on the topic.
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Courgette flowers are quite a gourmet item. Chefs stuff them and they can look great on a plate. I've never yet seen any for sale in a supermarket or shop. My guess is because they're too fragile and perishable for packing and transportation. I think we'll have to grow courgettes just to get the flowers. Not really bothered about the vegetable itself.

It's not a vegetable anyway, it's a fruit of the family cucurbithingy. (I forgot the word.)
Primrose
KG Regular

If all else fails, chop the darned things up and fork them back into the soil. They,ll quickly rot down and add back a little moisture or nutrition, especially those bigger ones which have gone beyond palatable eating size.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’ve always put Courgettes and Cucumbers in the veg family…..🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Nope, they're fruit. Just like tomatoes and gawd knows what else that we normally use as veg. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zucchini
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I think they like to class green beans as fruit too….but they will all be veg to me….🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

And, with a name like Old Herbaceous, are you some kind of herb? Nah, I'm not going to believe that. You can't fool me.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic