Spring Greens

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I really like Spring Greens, but with the Club Root can only grow the resistant Brassica's. This year the shop spring greens were late & way more expensive than usual & a bit tough! Is there any reason I could not try one of the resistant varieties sown later? I have noted the resistant summer cabbage varieties seem to heart up pretty quickly in comparison to others on the site without the club root, but would they behave the same if colder?

What's the best time to sow these if possible, remembering we stay warmer a littler longer?

Cheers as usual!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I,,ve not grown these in sufficient quantities Westi to comment with any authority as these types of greens have never been my most successful crops, which has led me towards kales and Swiss chard which have fared more resilient in our soil.
I think the best thing is to experiment with a small quantity, with the caveat being that any freak or unusual weather conditions in any one year could persuade you that it,s the particular variety that has failed rsther than the effect of the weather.

I,d sow a few now, and perhaps a few more over the next couple of successive months to enable the seedlings to try get established before the weather turns colder and see what happens.

Not being a scientist I,m unsure why resistant varieties should respond differently to "ordinary" one in their response to weather conditions, temperature, etc. Worth a try!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Last year I tried an experiment(yes another one, mad professor material here)to try and dodge the butterflies and their caterpillars I sowed some spring greens around this time of year and planted them out. They sat under the netting all winter and they are still there now. nearly 3 foot tall big leaves and no hearts. Note to self you cannot grow brassicas on sandy coastal soil up here.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well tigerburnie. Life is more interesting when you experiment in your garden as there,s always a new result to look forward to a, and if you can still eat the big outer leaves, nothing is wasted. Most soils have something that doesn't thrive. I,ve never been able to grow successful cauliflowers!

(Hope you,re feeling a little better now).
Westi
KG Regular

I have sown them so I am giving it a try! If you don't try you will never know & there is a spot for them all prepped, but I will also give it a top up from the compost bin I am emptying as getting near the bottom. It is looking really nice as I popped some of the cow manure that was delivered & a bit too claggy in there.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic