Container potatoes

If you're just starting out in the world of kitchen garden growing, then this is the place to ask for help. Our experienced forum members may have the answer you need!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

xinto
KG Regular

Hi, newbie and first post. Last night's storm flattened my potatoes, do I need to do anything to save them?
Thank in Advance
xinto
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning xinto, and a very warm welcome to the forum….
Your potatoes may look a mess after being flattened but, it should not make too much difference to them…..as long as the haulms (stalks) have not snapped off…even if a few have snapped off, you should still get a crop of some sort.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
retropants
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Xinto. I wouldn't be worried, as OH says, they should still be ok. It was pretty ferocious wasn't it?
xinto
KG Regular

Thank you for the replies. Yes it got quite blustery fortunately only a couple of potatoes knocked over. I have a small concrete back garden so have been dabbling with various fruit and veg in pots. I've spent the last 12 months collecting anything that I could sow seeds in and been experimenting with different sized containers, last night I picked 2 mangetout from a plant growing in a pot noodle pot, I left the other 2 to go to seed. For the first time I have a lot of aphids and black fly, I've just ordered some lavender plug plants as they seemed to keep them off my roses years ago. I also have a couple of swallows nesting in my shed so trying to avoid going in there too often.
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Xinto! As OH has said.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic