Qualcast Suffolk Punch 43s help

Cleaning, fixing, using, repairing, best and worst of your mechanical aids in the garden...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

tigerburnie
KG Regular

If that is a Briggs and Stratton engine, a lot of folk back in the day removed the engine and replaced it with a Honda one, the Punch is a superb mower, but depending on how much work it has done, the engine might be better replaced with an easy start more modern engine. If you want to fix the original engine these folk might be able to help
https://www.briggsandstrattonparts.co.uk/
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
build
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 9:16 am If that is a Briggs and Stratton engine, a lot of folk back in the day removed the engine and replaced it with a Honda one, the Punch is a superb mower, but depending on how much work it has done, the engine might be better replaced with an easy start more modern engine. If you want to fix the original engine these folk might be able to help
https://www.briggsandstrattonparts.co.uk/
Yes it is the Briggs and Stratton engine I think

I have found out a bit more about my problem with the choke
I have gone and bought this carb as Clive said it might be the jet in the bowl
I hope it is the right one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... 6&_sacat=0

Item number 314579360716

The next problem will be how to set the jets on this new carb

Kind Regards
tigerburnie
KG Regular

If I remember right there's a brass screw for the air/fuel mix on the top of the carb and then adjust the throttle speed to set a tick over speed where the engine is running, but the cylinder blades are not turning when stationary.
Richard
KG Regular

I never saw the adverts for adjustable needles again. Anyway, had a bit of a Google last night and found this, https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... n-jet-kit/ seems extraodinarily expensive when you can get a whole carb for under £9. Also found out that the cheap carb I linked to on eBay is for the next model Suffolk Punch, which used a Tecumseh engine. However, how different was it? I fitted a Tecumseh carb to the same model Qualcast engine, throat was bigger and the choke lever odd, but it fit, and worked fine. Not entirely sure that the adjustable jet from the cheap carb, on it's own, would not have fit into your Dellorto, as Dellorto and Tecumseh carbs are suspiciously alike, so much alike that Aspera used Dellortos on Tecumseh engines that they made under licence in Europe.
build
KG Regular

Richard wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:15 am I never saw the adverts for adjustable needles again. Anyway, had a bit of a Google last night and found this, https://www.dellorto.co.uk/shop/dellort ... n-jet-kit/ seems extraodinarily expensive when you can get a whole carb for under £9. Also found out that the cheap carb I linked to on eBay is for the next model Suffolk Punch, which used a Tecumseh engine. However, how different was it? I fitted a Tecumseh carb to the same model Qualcast engine, throat was bigger and the choke lever odd, but it fit, and worked fine. Not entirely sure that the adjustable jet from the cheap carb, on it's own, would not have fit into your Dellorto, as Dellorto and Tecumseh carbs are suspiciously alike, so much alike that Aspera used Dellortos on Tecumseh engines that they made under licence in Europe.

Hi Richard

Thank you for getting back to me

Yes I think they are expensive as you say a carb is only about £10

" Also found out that the cheap carb I linked to on eBay is for the next model Suffolk Punch, which used a Tecumseh engine. However, how different was it?"

I have not got it yet " comming wed" so will let you know.

Hope it is the correct one as it did say 43s ( never did find out if there was a differnt from 43 to 43s

" I fitted a Tecumseh carb to the same model Qualcast engine"
I presume you mean my model mower?
WOW looked on that site for the above and there is loads of them so got confused.
Richard
KG Regular

Qualcast used the same engine on a "cultivator" called the B66, actually a rebadged Merry Tiller Cadet but with the Qualcast engine rather than the Briggs that that Cadet came with. The carb problem was even worse on a rotavator as it was usually only used for a couple of weeks a year, so "the only runs on choke" problem never went away, or at least was just coming right when you finished using it for the season. Your engine was made by Qualcast whose main business was aluminium castings, but the fact that they always rattled a bit and the carb problem, meant they got a bad reputation, so Qualcast/Suffolk started fitting a Tecumseh engine in the 90s, this didn't last long, and they changed again to a Kawasaki, which looked a lot like a copy of a B & S side valve.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

If memory serves me right, the head might need a de-coke every couple of years, again because of the running on choke a lot, if the plug looks grim it will need doing.
build
KG Regular

Hi All

Well to go on from my last post about the 43 mower

I have now got this Carburettor
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314579360716

In place of the old one.
Does anyone know how to set this carb up ?

IE the valvev under the petrol cup also the other ones

Mnay thank to all
robo
KG Regular

I’ve had a few Briggs and Stratton engines the only problems I’ve had are carburettor ones I’ve bought 2 Chinese ones fitted them and just run the engines never played around with the mixture
Richard
KG Regular

Fit the carb, taking care that the linkage on top of the throttle is connected correctly. Connect the petrol and try to start it. With luck it will fire up and run, may need choke, may not. Once warm, choke off and set the throttle to half revs. Start adjusting the screw under the float bowl, try inwards first (clockwise) and very slowly, if revs start to fall, go in the opposite direction until they start to fall again, then, back off a bit, in theory until revs fall again and back to half way between. Then reduce revs to a rapid idle. Now adjust the black screw with spring behind it, just above the float bowl, again, could be in or out, whichever makes revs rise, and adjust in the same way as the other jet. Finally let throttle right off, if it stalls, screw the slow running adjuster on the throttle lever in, and try again, once it runs at a slow speed without stalling your carb should now run OK.

If you get the "only runs on choke" problem at the start of next season, you can unscrew the main jet adjuster under the float bowl a bit until it runs OK without choke, screwing it back in once the engine has run a while and starts to misfire due to running rich.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic