How to serve baked beans in tomato sauce

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

robo
KG Regular

I could put a swimming pool on it if you like stravaig
I’m out hopefully on my boat on Sunday or Monday weather permitting to try and catch some of these bass every one goes mad on it would have to be a good size for me to keep as I’m not keen on them I much prefer a nice cod or plaice
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks, Robo. No need for a swimming pool. :lol: I wouldn't mind an outdoor kitchen complete with BBQ and pizza oven, if you're offering to go the extra mile.

My step-father had a nice little boat. I used to enjoy going out with him. He dropped creels for lobsters and partans and we used to try to line catch codling, herring, and the like. Once we caught a squid! (It was very angry with us.)

I have to agree with you about bass. I'm not a huge fan either. And yet people rave about it. I find it a bit dry and it's a kinda dirty one to gut and fillet. If I spend any more time at our local fishmongers they're going to start charging me rent. :wink: But I've only ever once bought a bass (oops, I nearly said sea bass) from them and that was only for the experience of gutting, cleaning, etc, to keep my hand in.

I dunno about "dirty". Big fish eat little fish. Fact of life. It's just that the bass was a bit yuk.

I gutted a cuttle fish (messy job!) a few months back and it had a whole fish inside it! (Probably a small scad.) Didn't expect anything whole! I just buy squid now and the ink in sachets. Oh, gut a cuttle fish and your fingers look like you've been howking tatties for weeks.
robo
KG Regular

I don’t have a problem gutting bass it’s better if you descale it first under running water and cut all the sharp like razors of it with a good pair of scissors they are six sets of these behind the gills and fin and the tail end but for me it’s a very mild flavour
Stravaig
KG Regular

Thanks, Robo,

Well, I'm ex-army so I'll not have a problem with doing what you suggest. Thanks.

You seem very knowledgeable (difficult word) about fish. Please do share your know-how. :D

As a Scot, my favourite fish is smoked haddock. I can get all kinds of other fish, here there and everywhere, but I like my smoked haddock.
robo
KG Regular

Let’s say I’ve spent a lifetime fishing as a hobby my wife used to joke if anyone asked me the time I would answer it’s 10 minutes to high water
Stravaig
KG Regular

Robo, my step-father was like that. He had a day job in an office but every spare moment he was off in his boat. I used to love going out in the boat with him.

(I was an adult before he came into my life but I know that he'd have been great if he'd met me as a child.)

Simple pleasures, but times like that make life worth living.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic