There are two types of salt

General Cooking tips

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

What an interesting topic.
Breq
KG Regular

There are lots of places that sell a wide range of salts and peppers (more types and variations than you could possible ever want or need really). This is one place - not a rec as I have not used them, but FYI: https://www.spicemountain.co.uk/product-category/salts/

FYI, I find vanilla salt lovely to top biscuits as they bake. It was a gift to me and I thought it strange until I used it. Salt + sweet is a great combination.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Chefs and others who enjoy gourmet or artisan products probably aren't doing it for the perceived chemical composition or nutritional benefits. They do it because it makes the food taste better!

A quick sprinkle of smoked salt on a salad or whatever works in the same way as a sprinke of fresh chives, a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard in mash, a pinch of nutmeg in a bechamel, or indeed a small splash of "liquid smoke" on a steak (if you can't BBQ it for whetever reason). It adds a tasty extra dimesion.

To suggest that almost all chefs are wrong because one person can't or won't enjoy such products is patronising, even though that one person is a good cook. There is a difference in taste, especially if you use the special salt as a finishing salt. I feel sorry for anyone who lacks the courage to try it or the tastebuds to apppreciate the difference.

:twisted:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic