Identification needed!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

There was a wee incident with my clumsiness putting the lid on the propagator & I chopped the aubergines at the stalk. Now as they are pretty slow to grow re-sowing now would probably mean no fruit, so I decided to buy plants. I looked on 'A' as the big boy company's are too expensive & too many for my needs. I found a new one which raises the seeds in tower growing systems, & reasonably priced.

Anyway today I got parcel & expected the aubergines but I got 6 plug plants & a note from the grower that it is my plants are not ready yet & will follow & these were to say sorry for the wait . When I got up off the floor stunned by excellent service, I then realised there was no card to say what they were, so need to pick your brains!

I'm wondering if the first are ruby kale or some mustard & the second is some brassica?
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1808 times
IMG_6957.JPG
IMG_6957.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 1808 times
IMG_6958.JPG
IMG_6958.JPG (1.65 MiB) Viewed 1808 times
Cheers!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Obviously Brassicas. I would hazard a guess at the first being Red Russian kale but it seems a funny time of year to grow it, could be a broccoli. The second looks very like a cabbage, possibly Primo / Golden Acre.
Geoff
KG Regular

Doesn't look like you are getting a second opinion! Did the supplier get back to you?
Here are my Primo cabbages.
IMG_4726.JPG
IMG_4726.JPG (2 MiB) Viewed 1786 times
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was going for Kale and Brussel sprouts….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Your baby cabbage leaves look a different shape to these Geoff. Mine haven't got the distinctive heart shape. The closest thing I can find they look like is Bok Choy. I found the first one & it is Kale Red Russian.

Outcome of all this searching pics is I will have to get one of the bigger phones which I have delayed as the pockets on my clothes are too shallow & large phones do not fit safely. Fortunately most of these clothes are now designated for the allotment, so when I next have a wee shop I shall be inanely shoving my hand in all the pockets like some fool!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Looking again I agree not Primo, leaf edges too smooth. Could be sprouts as OH says, if you search "sprout seedlings" the images have the smoother edges, I haven't sown any yet to compare. As with kale seems a strange time of year to supply them. Are they not telling you?
Primrose
KG Regular

I,d opt for Red Kale and some kind of cabbage or sprouts . A nice gesture but a bit frustrating to have no ID especially if you,ve already growing other things which could now be duplicated. Still, don,t look a gift horse in the mouth. -at least you have some spares for the pigeons to,peck!
Westi
KG Regular

While looking around for what these could be I found something about Red Kale being both for micro greens to throw on salads but also the new rage is growing them larger to the size of lettuce leaves to mix in the actual salad. On further looking I think the others could be Brussel sprouts looking at seedlings pictures! I've planted them on so we will see at the end of the year!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic