Long awaited Spring Bits and Bobs…

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

I would genuinely like to see the composting operation. I suspect a huge chipping shredding device is the first thing ....and maybe a magnet to hook out the bits of trowel, forks and secateurs. ;)
There will be bins that are mainly grass mowings but mine tends to be chopped up shrub etc prunings.

C.
peter
KG Regular

Two things bother me about composting as related to peatfree composts.
How well,or poorly, is the matter composted, have had bags of GP compost opened and be full of live fungi. Allied to that what is the input to the process, is it domestic green waste bins or, more likely, commercially sourced East from other industries,like bark and limbs & twigs from forestry.
Second if from green bins, the rules usually ban you from putting apparently compostable matter in the general bin. So what about the makings from the were and miss free weed that's weed free due to broad leaf plant weed killers and moss killer. Remember aminopyralide in hay with its three year half-life?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'm making my own compost from n ow on, I have bought my last bag of MPC.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Blow it, i’m late up this morning…🙂
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Certainly dark and raining with wind gone to the North East,

C.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The water is running down our little lane, so the water table must be very high again!

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’m just having to eat a plate of bacon sandwiches….I know, it’s a tough life…🙂

retropants
KG Regular

Steady rain here this morning, which is a shame, as I had lots planned in the garden today. After yesterday’s horrendous gusty day at a craft market, we were all hanging in to our gazebos, I wanted to spend the day pruning and sowing seeds.
Colin2016
KG Regular

British summer time...will somebody inform the weather forecast is minus tonight I hear.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Keep getting snow showers here, it's not settling, but it's flippin' cold.
Westi
KG Regular

I did a shuffle around with the seedlings in the tunnel staging & the one's hardening off as the plan was to plant the perennials in their designated spot. Did I - hell no! All that extra room just begged for some more sowings!

I will be good tomorrow & weed the front flower beds & plant them out & finish prepping the last beds, but might be selective & do the beds that will have direct sown crops in them. There is something quite therapeutic about sowing, along with weeding; but not many agree with the second I've found!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Minus 1.5 in the greenhouse last night and the pond is frozen................................brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
retropants
KG Regular

sowed some cabbage and re-sowed chillies which hadn't shown yet (a new packet bouhgt the day before) Managed to prick out a few lettuce (little gem) and have picked out the tomato seeds I want to grow this year, I have a fairly good selection to choose from. Most are unusual heritage varieties from tomatofest in the US, but I also have some tumbling tom (red) and good old gardeners delight! Waiting for the carrots to show, it's been 2 weeks, but pretty cold and damp here, so not expecting anything yet. Leeks ae looking ok, they are so very slow aren't they!
Primrose
KG Regular

Chillies and pepper seeds are perishers in that they usually take so long to germinate you miss much of the growing season. If I were to grow them again I'd probably try soaking them overnight to try and speed up the process.
JohnN
KG Regular

Hi Primrose. Our seurity light also comes on when its windy, but it's to be expected. The motion sensor moving in the wind is the same as as something moving in front of it when it's calm. Foxes also set if off. Perhaps fixing your light more rigidly would help. Regards, John.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic