Half a beetle?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

I'm not a huge fan of Chinese food but we get a takeaway/delivery maybe once or twice a year, Just for a change. I am now eating some of the leftovers as brunch and have found something that looks like half a dead beetle. I hope to heck I didn't accidentally eat the other half. :)

Mind you, I don't suppose it really matters. I've knowingly and willingly eaten grasshoppers, crickets and ants...

(Unfortunately no one told me to peel the cricket first so I nearly choked to death.)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I’ll check the next Chinese take away meal we have for half a Beetle….I hate to think i’m missing out on something…..😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

ROFL! :lol:
Stravaig
KG Regular

I told my husband about this thread and in return he sent this link about Monsieur Mangetout - a guy who ate some very unusual things, including a light aircraft. (I only eat heavy ones.)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Lotito

Seriously, it's quite amazing what some people get up to.
peter
KG Regular

Beetle used to be the name for a large wooden hammer, used to hammer fence posts in, I was hoping a mallet was going begging.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I bet he would have found Cooks food a challenge….😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I've tried quite a few 'insect' tastings from different markets that I wandered around while mooching in some of the towns in the area. Mostly acceptable but a bit crunchy & could do with better seasoning. It doesn't faze me eating weird things (except black pudding) can not even consider that or steak tartare!

I lived in central OZ as a kid & my friends were aborigines so tried a few of their favourite things - snakes, echidna, kangaroo, possum etc. Of course I also had to try witchery grubs as it would be rude not to - if any of you are put in this position only ever eat them cooked in ambers, do not eat them raw! Besides the fact they squirm a bit when you bite them loads of white gunk comes out! Cooked they are pretty acceptable though, but not for going to be on my menu anytime!
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

I worked for Aussies for nearly two years. Great fun!

I bought packets of crickets online and took them to a party just for fun/novelty. They were horrible! Not so much the crickets themselves but they were horribly overflavoured like smoky bacon crisps on steroids. No one liked them but they were still talking about them for a while afterwards.

We had a Mexican friend who expressed an interest in trying them and apparently he did scoff them up quite happily.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic