Con

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Ammyy.com Scam
Wednesday December 8, 2010
Sponsored Links
McAfee 2011 Limited Offer
Anti-Virus, Anti-Spam & Firewall. Save 50% & Buy Your Peace Of Mind!
http://www.McAfeeStore.com/UK

Norton Antivirus™ 2011
Virus, Spyware, Worm, Trojan, Bot, Email & Instant Message Protection.
http://www.Norton.com

Recommended Download
Boost PC Speed. Microsoft Certified. Free Download
Uniblue.com/PCSpeed
Someone claiming to be from Microsoft phones you at home and tells you their logs are picking up an infection from your computer. To gain credibility, the phone scammer may give you easily discoverable information, such as your name, address, and phone number - stuff available to any random telemarketer or scam caller with a couple of bucks to spend.

Once they've gained your attention, this bogus Microsoft 'tech' then instructs you to open Event Viewer and says that any errors reflected in that log are 'proof' of a virus. The scammer then directs you to ammyy.com and tells you to run the tool and give them the ID it provides, after which they're now able to get complete remote access to your PC.

Remember:

1.Anyone can dial a number and claim to be someone else;
2.The real Microsoft doesn't call their customers to report virus infections;
3.Never run any unknown program or install any remote access tool for someone unless you are 100% certain of their identity and trustworthiness.
Ammyy.com advertises ammyy.exe as a remote access and file sharing tool. In malware terms, programs that do that without your permission are known as backdoors, password stealers, and data theft trojans. While Ammyy may have legitimate purpose when used between two *very* trusted parties, when Ammyy is used by a scammer, it's nothing more than a thief's tool.

Your best defense? Use the same trick you use with other unwanted callers - hang up the phone.

Catherine
KG Regular

Hi Shallotman Thanks for that information. I am really sick of getting phone calls from people wanting information/telephone surveys. They try to hold your attention with bits of information. I stop them as they start their speil and tell them that I am on a preferential telephone list, I ask them to take me off their database then I put the phone down.
The Mouse
KG Regular

My husband took a phone call a few weeks ago concerning slow internet speeds in our area. He didn't catch who the caller was supposedly phoning on behalf of (the usual foreign accent!). Our speeds have become very slow recently, and I had talked about complaining to our provider, but hadn't got around to it. Fortunately, the OH is suspicious by nature, so when they asked him to turn on his computer, he refused. If he had, I am sure they would have instructed him to do exactly the sort of thing mentioned here.

You really do have to be very careful - with your cooperation, it is possible for anyone to take control of your computer remotely, and extract whatever information they want!
Cauliflower is nothing but cabbage with a college education.
Mark Twain
richard p
KG Regular

i had some chap ring up , reckoned he could save me money off the phone bill... wanted to know how much my phone bill was.... i said i didnt know... he didnt beleive me... i patiently explained that when the phone bill arrived it got chucked into the must open eventually heap and when i got round to it id write a cheque for however much they asked for and post it off, but my brain was cluttered enough with important things without trying to remember how much the phone bill was..... im not sure his english was good enough to grasp the entire explanation cos he repeated his desire to know how much my phone bill was.... so i explained again..... eventually he had the audacity to hang up on me :D
Catherine
KG Regular

A friend told me that she had a phone call and was asked for some information so she asked them to hold on whilst she got the paperwork. Then she put the phone down on the table and went off and started vacuuming. She said she checked twice to see if they were still there and they were, she said that the penny dropped eventually. :lol:

Though I have to say that I do feel sorry for cold callers on the telephone as they have to earn money, like we all do, so it is just a job to them. They must get a lot of abuse thrown at them.
Gerry
KG Regular

Today I received an e-mail from NatWest.

"Our Technical Service department has recently updated our online banking service and due to this, you are required to verify your account details. Ensure you provide the required information correctly.
Follow the hyperlink below to continue...".

Recently I've had them from HSBC and Royal Bank of Scotland as well.

Regards, Gerry.
Monika
KG Regular

We continually get emails from, supposedly, banks, asking for all kinds of details. All of them are binned on the spot, of course.

Recently, there have been lots of emails in Russian, offering services of all sorts. I have never had dealings with Russia, so have no idea how we got on their mailing lists. Anybody else having this problem?
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, i did get an email last week offering Russian wife details.

That didn't even tempt me.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
KGAdmin
Site Admin

On phone calls: if you are getting cold calls / unwanted sales calls, then I highly recommend you register with TPS:

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

You can also choose to have your mobile and postal address opt-out of sales calls.

Unfortunately, a loophole in the law allows survey companies NOT selling to call you still, and many businesses now use this as an excuse to ring.

On emails: Banks scams are rampant right now. Remember, most banks state clearly they will never email you - and if they do - if you want to always stay safe: NEVER click on links in an email.
Instead, if in doubt, go to your bank website as your would normally and login.

KGAdmin
John
KG Regular

Good idea KGA
However TPS does not block calls from abroad which is where most of our nuisance calls come from now. Caller display on your phone is very useful as these calls show up, not with a number, but as International. We do have friends and relations abroad and we have asked them not to ring around our lunch or supper time which is when these nuisance calls come so we now know which foreign calls to avoid.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, we are registered with TPS and we still get calls, mostly from India, by the accent of the caller. I decline those very firmly but politely because I feel sorry for the caller.
But then there are the automated ones, of course: "Congratulations ....." (in an American accent), in which case I say something very rude and nobody is listening.
ditobat793
KG Regular

Thanks for that my dear friends!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic