WOW! The seeds in February KG magazine

Get the latest gardening news, and let us know what you think...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud, KG magazine, KG Emma

Stravaig
KG Regular

All these seeds! Brilliant. Romanesco cauliflower, silverskin onions, salad leaves, weirdo looking tomato, pak choi, etc. I'm overwhelmed. I'm already growing mizuna in a hydroponic pot.

In the magazine itself there's tips for growing potatoes, making compost, etc, etc. Ooh, just spotted a recipe for seafood and leeks pancakes. It sounds very much like a Japanese dish I make Okonomiyaki. (Okonomi = as you like, yaki = fried.)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I personally think it still is the best Gardening magazine on sale and that would still be the case, without the free seeds…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Yeah, I agree, but it's quite hard to find in shops. If you don't subscribe - good idea - it's difficult to find it anywhere other than Asda. I don't know why that should be.
Westi
KG Regular

I get mine from Smith's or Sainsbury's. It is still the best mag as not quite as dumbed down as the other one available. I note all the forum posts are really quite old in the mag, so maybe guys when Spring comes we get back in the growing zone & post more questions on this aspect which is really the point of it. The potato fertiliser side track is a great example, but we, (I) also hide behind my indecision of where to post something so defer to general chat!

Let's try to spread our chat a bit & give input on current trends like no dig pros & cons in another area, Stravaig post & put a pic on your hydroponics in a more appropriate area could be beneficial in the current global warming crisis, OH, Shallotman you have years of experience so must be full of sound advice!

I kinda have this gut feeling we need to entice readers who do not post in as it feels a bit insular!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, my biggest problem is, I have always struggled to put decent sentences together, when it comes to writing them down….I often end up having to change my wording several times before I submit a post, or at worse, don’t post it at all!
But you do have some very good points…..
I have also noticed, there have only been a few people join the forum in the last few months, so we are really limited to how we get people to join in….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stravaig
KG Regular

OK, Westi. I'm happy to post a pic or two of my indoor garden, such as it is. And write about it. :D

I'm not very technically minded so I've requested help on the "how to post a pic" place.

It would be great if the mag would publish an article or feature about hydroponics. It would be an ideal subject for the quiet months of gardening. We moved into this flat late last year and I started growing stuff in November rather than waiting for spring. Also we don't have a lot of space here so we put metal shelving units on the window sills and the little hydroponics units are on those shelves.

Once spring has sprung we'll be planting up containers on the outdoor terrace. That way I can take my garden with me when we move back to our own house later this year.
Westi
KG Regular

OH, I think you are extremely articulate & I feel you have so much knowledge due to your job both from a veg perspective & flowers & shrubs etc. I have seen many post with typos (lot's mine) etc but our brains work out what is meant even if what appears in not the King's English. This applies to me especially as I type in Australian & we aren't big on commas & stuff, but I think I have improved slightly & that's only taken near 40yrs! :)

Stravaig (why does my computer always try to change your name)? Anyway I have responded on how to post a pic - my kitten is cute - yes? I am quite interested in hydroponics but the only things I have seen is the big stuff with the fish tanks adding required nutrients to the water as it goes through the system - somehow that would be overkill for a few plants (& any fish in my care)! And lots of youtube is pretty tedious & brain sapping! I hope you work out how to post as I like to see a small set up & I'd like to see conversation around a DIY set up as well.

KG could do a full cover of the big, small & DIY as hydroponics does not use the same amount water as soil grown crops which must be considered with global warming.
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes I do think the forum section in the magazine needs a boost to "entice" more people to join in, but that means we somehow have to encourage people to post on a range of topics more regularly.

Receiving the monthly magazine is a bit of a two edged sword for me now I'm too disabled to garden - it just acts a regular reminder of all the things I can no longer do, but at the same time it's like tobacco or alcohol - it's hard to give up your regular "fix" and I do still like to keep up with what's happening in the veggie growing world.
Westi
KG Regular

Primrose it must be hard to just sit on the sidelines so having an active forum would help you as well to share your long experience. You certainly have helped me in the past.
Westi
retropants
KG Regular

Stravaig, I'd be very interested in seeing how you go about your hydroponics in small scale. :)
Stravaig
KG Regular

Hi Pantsy, :wink:

Not so much small scale, more microscopic scale. But the thing is we can't all be perfect and we have to try our best with what we've got. Not everyone is fit, has a big garden or an allotment or whatever so I'm glad that you're encouraging diversity and those of us who would never win prizes for their gardening.

My little indoor set-up is in a sorry state right now. I'll get husband to help me with posting photos tomorrow. Today has been rather busy. OK, sorry state, but when you consider that it's only a small flat and I started planting here in November (not the usual season! :D ) using both seeds in hydroponic pots and pots of herbs bought from a supermarket it's quite impressive that it's kept us going for several months! It just shows what you can do with very limited space and resources. I hope it inspires people who don't have the perfect set up.

I don't mind at all sharing my shambles with others if it might help. Thanks for the encouragement! :D

It'll soon be time to get some containers planted up on the outside terrace so we can move them back to our own place in August.
retropants
KG Regular

fantastic! I look forward to seeing the pictures! I have very limited space since having to give up the allotment, so I would love to try lettuce etc using hydroponics if possible. Mine never make it in the ground, too many slugs, and the local fox likes to sleep on them.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic