All creatures great and small...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

Don't worry, this isn't going to be a religious lecture. :D

We all have our loves and hates. I go mental about house flies. Aaaarrrgghh! KILL!!!

Other people don't like rats ( I don't either) or foxes (I don't really mind them at all, but I don't have anything to protect).

So, what is it that makes it OK to kill the things we don't like and be OK with the things we do like? Do you think that's morally right?

I'm not bothered enough to get on my soap box. Just curious to know what people think.
Geoff
KG Regular

Some things have got to be considered as vermin, perhaps regrettable but I think inevitable. That is one of the reasons I've long given up on BBC's "SeasonWatch" programmes, not only the childish presenters but also the lack of recognition that some creatures should be controlled; like urban foxes, grey squirrels, corvids, there must be others.
Stravaig
KG Regular

Grey squirrels. Hmm. I was at a farmers' market (a long time ago, when I was still running my food blog). There was a game merchant there who was selling grey squirrel, among other things. I thought that I ought to put my money where my mouth was so I bought one. Save Tufty! Eat a grey squirrel.!

I bought it and cooked it. Posted the recipe, etc, etc... And then I got a heap of HATE mail. LOL! :lol:

As you say, "vermin". Maybe not everyone agrees on what vermin is. :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic