Potato Fertilizer

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Colin2016
KG Regular

Have grown spuds in home made compost in the past, seem to get loads of smaller ones so was wondering if I show add some potato fertilizer.

Your thoughts and suggestions please.
Geoff
KG Regular

I always use fertiliser for potatoes, actually for most crops even though I use compost and manure. I don't buy dedicated potato fertiliser as I think all the formulations for specific crops are over priced. I'm afraid I'm still an imperialist, my beds are approximately 25' x 10'. I didn't dig the potato bed last year, forked in 10 lbs of Growmore and 25 ozs of Superphosphate then covered it with 12 barrow loads of compost and covered it with a sheet of polythene on 17th January. Planted the 10 rows of chitted potatoes into shallow trenches on 22nd March, ridged them up slightly and put the polythene back over. Later (can't find diary entry) uncovered them when they were just showing and earthed them up and put hoop cloche frames over them so I could pull the polythene sheet back over the whole bed on frosty nights. Gave a good crop. I only grow second earlies and maincrop this way, the first earlies are in the polytunnel. Sadly haven't done any gardening yet this year so this is one of the many jobs I am behind with.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff think I will give it a try.
snooky
KG Regular

Hi Colin,
Recipe for home made Potato fertilizer:-
1/2lb Sulphate of Ammonia
1lb Superphosphate
1/2lb Sulphate of Potash
Enough for a 30ft row.Apply at time of planting.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Westi
KG Regular

I didn't respond to this as never fertilise my potatoes, but I found a box of potato fertiliser in my shed clear up today. Not opened, quite old looking at packet, wee pellets & a wee mouse hole in the bottom so not quite full but think I will try it out. I've no idea of the mix of nutrients but will check this out & get back to you with more info like the PK things & use by etc, when I start prepping the spud beds to confirm whether worth it or not.

I pretty much feel as you are reading this you might be tutting & going to say don't use which is fine but maybe the mix could be useful for something else if I have full info?
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Doubt fertiliser can go off apart from getting damp and being difficult to spread.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Thanks for recipe Snooky, but just ordered a tubs worth.

Brought 4 packs of 2kg spuds last week for £4.50 per bag and thought they was cheaper than last year. Just been to local Ironmongers and found they are selling same for £3.

They also had loose ones and loose onions, peas, broadbeans as well.

Will check them out before going elseware next year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic