False gluts

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

It's quite annoying being forced to buy more than you want. It must be even worse for people with fewer resources. :(
I just wanted two leeks for whatever it is I was making. Husband came back with a big bag of them, saying they don't seem to sell leeks individually these days. So now I've got about eight leeks I never wanted or asked for. Yeah, I'll probably figure out something (or put them in the bin).

It would be nice to be able to buy what you want. And you can't even give the excess to a food bank because as far as I know they only want non perishables.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The food banks seem to be taking fruit and veg, now that there are so many people using them, Stravaig!

Maybe your Husband likes leeks……😀
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Most food banks will take veg now even those that were reluctant before. Our site was approached by the nearest one to us to see if we would be interested in linking with them which we have. The issue previously was storage but some local electrics shop donated them fridges for fruit, veg & cheese etc. They had cool boxes but that temp is not controlled to guarantee it was suitable for eating.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Good news about food banks taking fresh produce.

I do understand that it has to be looked after properly but it's really not nice to have to live on tinned or other non-perishable food. I like fresh meat, fish, and veg!

I would even be happy to cook meals to give to a food bank. No problem for me. But I thought they just wanted stuff like tinned tomatoes or whatever.
Westi
KG Regular

I tell you who will appreciate cooked meals is the Homeless Charities. They have all the portable gear to re-heat food on the corners they set up on. I saw a show on TV which was mainly focusing on some of the restaurants that helped out, but one thing good is they supply the pots which have clipped lids so when a pot of stew or whatever is dropped off a clean one is ready to take back & they even had volunteers to collect & deliver.
Westi
Stravaig
KG Regular

Oh, that's great Westi. I should have had eight children - I like to feed people. Unfortunately I'm allergic to children so I didn't have any.

Husband thinks he's already found a homeless charity in our area. I'll get cooking!!!! Makes me happy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic