nature

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

submariner
KG Regular

Hi folks. I have to share this.Yesterday afternoon, I had a magical hour. I sat in my chair, quietly summer pruning my standard goosberry, when I watched sparrows attacking my peas. They didn't seem to be doing any harm, so I left them too it, watching them was fascinating. Then I spied an ant. It was trying to, (and winning), pull a small caretpillar. It was amazing. The caterpillar was bigger than the ant. The strange thing was, that the ant didn't seem to know where it was going. It would go 6 inches one way, then the other, and eventually arrived at its nest. To watch that was such a privilege. Talk about tenacity! It would even drop the bug for a short period, and run around as if stretching, and then carry on. Off now to spend more time watching, and realising how lucky I am to have a garden in which I can watch such wonders.
Love veg!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Submariner i think we all should take an odd hour just to sit down and have a proper look around us.
I must admit i'm the worlds worst for trying to fit twenty hours work into just sixteen. :shock:
And sometimes as you saw with the ant it is the smallest things that can bring great pleasure.
It is not until somebody like yourself, tells a little story, that it really does bring home reality,
and i thank you for doing so.

Kind regards Old Herbaceous.

Theres no fool like an old fool.

P.S I'm glad the story didn't end with you treading on the ant. :wink:
Lyn
KG Regular

There must be thousands of "worlds within worlds" operating right on our doorsteps of which we are completely ignorant, and which are completely unaware of us - we would all do well to stop and think, sometimes, about our place in the order of things and our co-existence/interdependence with the rest of nature. I add my thanks for sharing those experiences.
Regards, Lyn
Zena
KG Regular

yes, thank you. I was thinking only yesterday how it would be nice to have the time to sit in the garden on our new sun loungers, rather than only going out to weed/water/harvest. (or hang the washing out.) I do spend a fair amount of time staring out of the bedroom window watching the birds but now you've inspired me to make the time to get out there and look at things close up.
jane E
KG Regular

I remember picking dewberries on Kenfig on the sand dunes. I suppose they were called dune berries but we always called them dewberries - like a squashy blackberry with a shimmer of grey on them. Do you pick them submariner? Are they still there?
lizzie
KG Regular

Yep, it's nice to stop and smell the roses, so to speak, from time to time.

Must try to do it more often instead of always thinking where I have to be next
Lots of love

Lizzie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic