Mushrooms

General tips / questions on seeding & planting

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

I have 2 huge branches off the fruit trees that are about 3 yrs old. Plan was to burn them in the incinerator but it was so time laborious sawing through them I just took the thin branches off & used them to hold down the tarps on the closed compost bins.

I opened one of these for mulching & was thinking there must be something better I could do with them. Anyone know if mushrooms will grow on fruit (apple mainly) wood? I was just thinking chestnut mushrooms as I use these the most & I have my secret space between the back 2 compost piles that is dark & shaded. I have seen or read that you can get dowels that are impregnated with spore but are there other options as if the saw won't go through them I doubt my girly drill will make any impact?

Cheers in advance!
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I truly do not like the fact that the links don't work directly.
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Adding onto the above when I cut & pasted it, it came up with 'It looks like there aren't many matches for your search'. Doh?? Well actually none came up except the general small banner ads from companies with prices but no info. Sharing links with other growers must be a bonus to the KG forum. The team could put links into their 'Ask the team' (or perhaps rename that), to past articles in the mag for topical or educational issues, thinking along the lines of hot weather prep & growing, fixing flooding etc.

I can just search generic sites but I want to hear from UK growers I know; who have the local spin & creativity of years of growing.

It is still driving me potty as you can tell, along with the 'like button' which could be upgraded so you could hoover over to see who liked something & make contact to gain more info if difficult toexpalin . PS I do like the Contact link under the names though.
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I think software people are after the title formally held by estate agents and secondhand car salesmen as Britain's most disliked profession.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Please take note of the solution I have offered, I know it's a mess and I wish we could find a way of contacting Darren to discuss.

When you want to post a link copy it into your reply, you will see it is there in full. Before you submit your reply delete the https: then when you submit there will be a full link without dots that others can copy and paste and it will work. For example, here is one from grocycle, might not be the one you wanted but it shows the principle

//grocycle.com/growing-mushrooms-on-sawdust-blocks/
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Geoff! It works for the link you have given but still won't work with Tigers link.

Not to worry though there is loads of stuff from Gro-cycle so that will be my next rainy home day project.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic