Snow!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Stravaig
KG Regular

The climate seems to have gone mental these days. We now have a thick layer of snow on our terrace (large balcony thing) and it's lying. Even as a Scot from the north east of the country, I'd not have expected snow in early/mid December.

Thank God for thermal underwear. :)

I expect our visitors of wee birdies will be even more grateful than usual for the picnics we put out for them.
Stephen
KG Regular

The view from my bedroom window
Not much more than a dusting but as it is an unadopted road, it won't get cleared, unless the residents find we need to do so
PXL_20221212_074908539.jpg
PXL_20221212_074908539.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 7823 times
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No snow in our village, but all the surrounding towns and villages have some, we sit in a bowl on a small hill surrounded by bigger hills on three sides, just open facing the sea, so unless the weather comes from the east, we miss most of it.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Primrose
KG Regular

We have snow here in Bucks. Interesting to look on the various house roofs. Those that are poorly insulated seem to have less snow on them where heat rising from the house has slightly melted it. Heavily insulated loft houses seem to have more snow on the roof.
Guess the visuals are as effective as having an Energy Efficiency certificate!.
Geoff
KG Regular

Not much snow but -7.5°C last night and still -4.1°C in the sunshine.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Walked down the village and cleared my Mum’s paths this morning….Just over 2 inches of snow…normal twits on the road spinning about.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

But don't you just love watching rear wheel drive BMWs getting stuck.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

When I was in the building trade, we used to load the back up with bags of cement or sand, if they were rear wheel drive….made a huge difference….and used to drop the tyre pressure a little if there was prolonged snow about.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was just thinking, I can’t remember the first two weeks of December ever being as cold as this….

Geoff
KG Regular

How long is a snap? Forecasters still seem to calling it a cold snap, my dictionary says "sudden brief spell of cold weather". What's the next unit of measure? Don't know about the rest of the country but it is depressingly grey, misty and freezing here.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We seem to have minus figures forecast for around 10 days, it should be around 5 degrees at Christmas, minus 7 last night, greenhouse door frozen, pond has ice around an inch thick. Had a walk round the fields an hour ago, the ground is like rock, glad the farmer has left some "set aside" ground for the birds, large flock of Linnets, Skylarks and Twite feeding there.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
snooky
KG Regular

Whilst out and about today popped into the Allotment site Something quite beautiful in its covering of snow and frost.The different shapes across the site take on a different perspective.Out of curiousity tried to get a fork into the ground(ever the optimist!!).Two chances,none and nothing,hard as concrete so will have to wait until the thaw next week todig up the parsnips etc.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Colin2016
KG Regular

Making new raised bed at bottom of garden yesterday, had dozen buckets filled with manure & compost collected from plot last week. Went to tip them out and found them frozen, guess it has been a bit cold and that's why green house has been a white house. All clear today so perhaps should have put job off till today.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The frost is even harder here this morning, so no gardening for me….even all the pots of bulbs in the greenhouse are frozen solid and there’s no way i’m going to put the heater on!

Stephen
KG Regular

Precious little has melted here. I doubt I will try to get the car out tomorrow; the penalty of living on an unadopted road is no gritting (fair enough) and few cars. The snow gets compacted and if it freezes overnight I would slide around for sure (rear wheel drive, only weighs 525kg, ordinary, rather than winter, tyres)
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic