Late Summer Bits and Bobs, dear Monika.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Plot 18
Some butternut and vegetable spaghetti on plot 17 planted later, some nothing set are flowering now.

IMG_20220917_134303.jpg
IMG_20220917_134303.jpg (5.96 MiB) Viewed 1171 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Shallot Man, nothing surprises me anymore…..
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I was sort of surprised how quiet the streets were in and around me in Scotland, more supporters of the Queen than I thought obviously.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

Eerily quiet down here yesterday too. Unfortunately there was a bit of a glitch with the placement of the big screens around the area as there was so many people they blocked the roads & completely stopped the traffic flow. After ages waiting for a bus to go home one turned up to say he was told to stop there until advised. He was the 11.15am bus that turned up at 12.45! It seemed an extremely long walk home lugging the pumpkin! Obvs a considerable amount of under my breath cussing to bide the time at the multiple rest stops!
Westi
Stephen
KG Regular

Primrose, like you our butternut squash are a shaddow of our usual crop. I think we have four small ones.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Shallot Man - Our village British Legion requested the minute's silence at our war memorial at exactly at the time the televised Royal Funeral service was scheduled to end. With so many people watching the service on TV I doubt whether anybody turned up for it.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Proper start to autumn today, notice to geese have been arriving for past week not sure if that is a good or bad sign.
Primrose
KG Regular

Those V shaped geese flights are so iconic arn,t they?

I don,t know when the swifts and swallows departed but they obviously disappeared as rapidly and unceremoniously as they arrived. At least that will leave a few more insects for the local bats who start venturing out earlier now the nights are drawing in.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I always used to look forward to Johnboy’s write ups, on the birds he had seen arriving, leaving and that were with us all year…
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
snooky
KG Regular

Had a flock of Starlings turning over my back lawn early on Monday making a right mess.Then the mixed flock of Tits,Robins and Nuthatch following behind the Starlings picking up anything they missed.Thrushes in the Yew tree and for some reason the pigeons stayed away.Unusual for because they use the birdbath for drinking and bathing.
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
OdliDPrincess
KG Regular

Rain had been falling steadily all night, waking us up! The water butts are overflowing, the wildlife pond is filled to the brim, and I'm sure I can hear the grass sprouting, which is a big respite after the hills and moors were tinder dry, hopefully preventing any fires.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

We too have wall to wall wet stuff, much needed it is too, as an indicator the ground is still soaking up the rain as the local rivers have not risen much in our area, though I note Stonehaven is on flood alert again, even after £millions spent on defences.
We get the Pink Footed Geese in our area, over 80000 most years, just hope the bird flu doesn't strike them.
On a different slant, there was an explosion and a huge fire at a local farm yesterday, I hope no-one was hurt.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic