Allotment etiquette for vacant plots

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

clareg
KG Regular

Hi All,

I wanted to get the opinions and experiences of anyone on the forum who has an allotment. We have a long history of tenants helping themselves to items on plots once it has become common knowledge that a plot has become vacant. At the moment, there is nothing in our constitution that says outright that tenants cannot go on other plots, tenanted or vacant. This is something we need to address at our next AGM. In the meantime, plots are being stripped before the tenant has a chance to clear their possessions. I am not just talking about small things such as plant pots, but paving slabs, posts and raised beds, polytunnels and even fruit bushes being dug up.

To me, this is unacceptable. Plot holders are given 21 days to vacate, after which, our constitutions states that any leftover property belongs to the association to do with as it sees fit (usually passed to the next plot holder).

The situation came to ahead a few weeks ago when, in a committee meeting, a committee member was accused of taking items from a vacant plot. An argument ensued which has resulted in a number of committee members resigning as they can no longer take the stress of running the site.

For me, I wouldn't dream of entering someone else's plot, even an empty plot, but other people seem to think its ok. What do you think?

Clare
peter
KG Regular

Ours is run by our Town Council.
Their workmen and the site agent can go onto any plot.
All other plotholders should stick to their own plot and the pathways between plots. They can go onto someone else's plot with the plotholders permission or request - like can you water my tomatoes while I'm away for a fortnight, you can take ripe ones for doing the watering.
It's a throw you off offence to help yourself to stuff from any other plot unless it is formally vacant.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good morning Clare, a very interesting question indeed.
I would say it amounts to theft, if the plot holder has not had chance to sell, or give away what is on his plot and is still within the 21 days grace!
Our allotments are very small, so we all know each other….but if a plot is being given up, things just get given away to existing members, or passed on to the new member, from the plot holder that is leaving.
I would think it would definitely pay to put something in writing, about no one is allowed on to another plot, unless invited and nothing must be taken off the plot if someone is giving up the allotment, until the 21 days is up.

A warm welcome to the forum.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I would say it’s theft and take the appropriate steps to bring the culprits to order
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome to the forum Claire!

We have newish CCTV on site & it really highlighted the entry & taking of equipment & plants from 'empty' plots. Some plots aren't empty but the owners have temporary ill health & advised the committee. We have now received a e-mail to say no-one is to enter another plot unless the owners are there & if something is pre-arranged between them they need to notify the committee.

We find this generally acceptable however there were one or two who were not as happy as 'empty' plots overgrown with weeds waist high were blowing seed onto their plots & they used to just roughly strim them. If you get the opportunity to install CCTV (technically it is wildlife cams set lower on our site) then it will reduce breeches & is also very valuable for police when you have totally uninvited visitors & issues.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic