Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

I remember it well, Primrose. I spent all my working life in a university and when their first computer was installed, no more than two people were allowed in the room because of possible weight problems!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Strong wind up here today, but still 22 degrees, will need to do some watering later as the onions look parched as do the carrots, the tops on a lot of the carrots look a bit burnt, have a feeling all is not well with one end of the bed where the full sun hits it. Already plan to put the roots into a more shady spot for next year, what's the betting we have a cooler summer next year?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
peter
KG Regular

DRY, DRY, DRY, STILL DRY
Screenshot_20220724-171937.png
Screenshot_20220724-171937.png (2.73 MiB) Viewed 2855 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Same here, Peter and the hot wind today has dried things out even more!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

What is it with Spring onions this year? They are just not playing, most not even germinating & new seed. Can't see any slime trails so that & the dry rules them out. I have trial mini beds in shade, part shade, pots, sun morning, sun afternoon spots, they are watered & weeded. Thankfully I grow on the bought ones roots in pots which help the supply.

Of course we all can guess what will happen now.....
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I've had some of my best ever Spring Onions and the onions from seed are doing really well, including the red ones that often bolt, the leeks however are bolting badly. Thankfully we just had a decent drop of rain, won't fill the water butts, but no need to water tonight.
Stephen
KG Regular

I remember such a computer Primrose. We cycled through three HUGE drives, today's work, yesterday's work and the day before's work. I have no idea how big (i.e. small) they were. I was working with this between 1981 to 1983.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Well that worked well. All the media coverage of an impending drought and the school holidays starting gave us 16.8mm of rain yesterday. The midges have enjoyed it.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I have had a computer now for some 18 yrs, still on my first year of training. Think I am frightened of the ruddy thing. :(
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:I've had some of my best ever Spring Onions and the onions from seed are doing really well, including the red ones that often bolt, the leeks however are bolting badly. Thankfully we just had a decent drop of rain, won't fill the water butts, but no need to water tonight.

Rain ! what's that.
retropants
KG Regular

no idea, grass is supposed to be brown & crispy, yes?
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Had a drop more rain, enough to half fill the water butts and the garden looks less like the Kalahari now.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Had good harvest of spring onions very tasty strong flavor as well.
Stravaig
KG Regular

We've just had a good crop of spring onions. (Purchased from the little "supermarket" down the road.) :twisted:
Primrose
KG Regular

Five minutes of drizzle here. Barely enough to dampen the brown grass but at least it,s saving petrol not having to use the motor mower, Frustratingly the only plants which seem to be surviving in the lawn are the weeds,

I suspect autumn will come early this year. The elm tree leaves round here are already turning yellow. Sadly I suspect many saplings planted this year for the platinum jubilee will die because they,re in remote places and won,t have been watered.

Incidentwlly did anybody see it was a compost heap imploding which caused the awful fire which caused several hiuses to burn down? Food for thought ! Thwt must really have generated some heat!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic