Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:A bit of sun, and the country is coming to a standstill. Can't remember the RSM when I was in the Canal Zone as a young National Servicemen in the 1950's saying, stay in your tents lads, the suns a bit hot. :wink:

My dad was out that way too, RASC, on national service in the 50s....some hot but then also some wet.!..there's a photo about here somewhere with him pictured sat atop a metal dustbin with all around under water, and tented quarters behind.

C.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Stephen,

I was told August for shaping.
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Hi Stephen,

I was told August for shaping.

I would tally with that and wait for a growth spurt to finish after the rain storms that will come one day... Prune too early and a dose of wet weather after dry undoes the job with some soft re growth.

C.
retropants
KG Regular

oops, I trimmed mine last week, I always thought it was July!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Seems to be a lack of butterflies, bar the cabbage white.
retropants
KG Regular

oh yes, plenty of those!! I gave the garden a thorough soaking last night, as much as I hate to use tap water for the garden, everything else has run dry. I use a siphon to empty the bath onto the flower beds, and a large plastic garden bucket/trug in the shower to collect the water for the same. We also leave a bowl in the kitchen sink to collect handwashing and general rinsing water to chuck out onto the thirstiest looking specimens. I hope everything survives the next few days, lots of local trees are looking decidedly crispy.
Monika
KG Regular

Same here, shallotman. I am seriously worried about all the insects. Last night, a very balmy evening, we sat outside in the comparative cool for nearly an hour, surrounded by insect-friendly flowers (red valerian, evening primrose, single dahlias etc etc) and espied ONE moth and no bats at all. Are they and we all shrivelling up? Virtually no birds during the day either, presumably all skulking in the deepest darkest shade. Luckily, the 2 acre village nature reserve right in front off our house has a pond (although rather low at the moment) but also a lively clear beck for their drinking and bathing water.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Clive. My end of the canal rained once all the time I was out there keeping the lifeline of the British Empire open. When it did rain [ 5 minutes] didn't wet the sand. :roll:
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I note it's the birthday of of Poddington Pea, reminds me of the passing of her dad, RIP Pa Snip and other gardeners who are working on the golden allotment.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:I note it's the birthday of of Poddington Pea, reminds me of the passing of her dad, RIP Pa Snip and other gardeners who are working on the golden allotment.

Given to understand their are no weeds on the Golden Allotment.
Primrose
KG Regular

I,m sure Pa Snip will be keeping everybody up to scratch and the heavenly manure of which he was such a devotee will have the aroma of frankincense! He,s still missed.

On the heat topic, I,m just regretful that our tomsto crop is n,t ripe yet. It would be the deal opportunity for making traditional sun dried herbed tomatoes the proper way instead of having to use a slow oven. They,re so nice but expensive to buy and this country,s normal summers are never hot eniugh to process them in the traditional Mediterranean way. This year we get the heat too early for the tomatoes,

Great herb drying weather though for anybody with rosemary, oregano etc.
robo
KG Regular

I’m sitting in the conservatory door fully open fan blowing on me with the fly swat in hand one landed on my knee so I whacked it but I didn’t kill it as it was on the floor moving when a sparrow flew in landed on the fly 10 seconds later no more fly the sparrow looked at me turned round and flew off
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Yes, our dear Parsnip….

Some Comma’s, (I remembered their name Monika), some Peacocks and a larger orange speckled butterfly….think it was a Fritillary of some sort! They seem to love the Statice I have over the allotments….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Morning all, we have had some light rain which with 24 degrees means it's a rather muggy day, but work needs to be done in the greenhouse.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Gosh, you wouldn’t want to be in my greenhouse, Tigerburnie….wow, that’s hot in there….
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic